Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kateybear728 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Trying to rewire jack to work on main line 2 NIDS outside?
    Hi,

My daughter's room has a phone jack in it that doesn't work. The previous owner apparently had 2 phone lines in the home. I only have one. I wanted to make the jack in her room work on our line so we can hook up her satellite receiver to it. When we removed the jack from the wall, it was set up as red and green, just like the main line. I went outside and there are 2 NIDS on the outside of my house. One has my phone number written inside, and the other has 2 different nubmers for the previous owners 2 lines. Does anyone know how to go about fixing the jack and the NID? Just trying to avoid the phone company charges. Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 03:03 PM

1 question:

There are wires going to the two sets of red and green terminals. What color are the wires connected to these sets that head inside the house?

Nov 15, 2008, 03:37 PM

I can't head outside right now, but if I remember correctly I think it was white with blue to the green and blue to the red... I'll have to check again in the morning...
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 05:07 PM

That's consistent with line #1 wiring, but the other set might be connected to line #2.

Without a toner, it might be difficult to figure out what is going on, but you might try to get a length of wire either for a test or permanent fix.

Once you identify which wires have to be moved, by using a short length, you can either jumper it permanently or move the wire to the appropriate NID.

Phone wiring does require special splices that hopefullt still are available at RadioShack.

What could have happened is that he had a home office and line #1, Line#2 were used as an office number and FAX number and that NID only goes to that room.

Another thing the previous owner could have done is use line #2 of the entire home as the office number and used a 2 line phone in some places.

Nov 15, 2008, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the info! I know the previous owner did have a business out of the home. I think I will just suck it up and call the phone company on this one! Thanks so much for your help!
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 10:17 PM

It's probably really simple: Move the blue/wht wht/blu pair to the functioning NID.

HOW:
    1. Move cable physically
    2. Jump NID to NID
    a) inside to inside
    b) outside to outside

Drip loops are essential.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 03:44 PM

If you had a cell phone, call your main line, with a Multimeter, look for about 90 volts AC at incoming pair, one of the 3 should show the ringing voltage.
    Take 2 wires from other connections and connect, if it doesn't work, replace and try other pair. A Tone Generator/inductive amp and a Test set will make short work of it. But you can do with neither.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewire secondline to main line [ 1 Answers ]

I have two line, the main one#1 is on second floor and the second one#2 is on the first floor, I want to disconnerct the #2 and the telephone company said I need to rewire the phone so I can use the Maine line#1 to first floor. How can I rewire it?

Rewiring existing phone jack to main line [ 3 Answers ]

I have two phone lines. I want to disconnect 2nd line but need to rewire that jack to main number. The jack has green red top l to rt blk yello bottom left to right. I tried switching the yellow to blk and green to red. But it didn't work. What am I doing wrong? How should they go?

Switching the jack to main phone line [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! A few years ago, I got a phone line for my daughter's room/computer. My daughter is in college and now we have cable. I cancelled the 2nd line now.:o I would like to change the jack back to the main number without calling the phone company and paying a bajillion dollars! What do I do? :o

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

Rewire second phone line to main [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a second phone line for my computer, I am dropping the second line and getting DSL. How do I rewire that second line to my main line? Thank you.

View more questions Search