Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JONES-SMITH Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 12:50 PM
    1/2 bath to 3/4 bath home improvement
    I own a 54 year old house in Los angeles and I want to convert my 1/2 bath to a 3/4 bath by adding an upright shower. The room is "L" shaped with a toilet at one end of the "L" and a sink at the other. The idea is to make the room square by demo'ing the closet that makes the room "L" shaped. I have very little experience but a lot of guts. I have a professional who will hang the drywall after I am done installing the shower. My biggest concern is tapping into the existing plumbing. My plumbing questions are: What supplies will I need? How difficult is this project? How do I do it?
    Thank you,
    Hopelessly Cheap
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 15, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Hey there HC...

I want you to look at the plumbing pipes and tell me what kind of pipes you have..?

PVC (white plastic), ABS (black plastic), Cast iron (black metal) or could be copper pipe..?

Hopefully, the pipe that picks up the sink is a 2" pipe... If this is the case you may be able to cut into the drain pipe for the sink (under floor) and use the vent for the sink to vent the shower... ;)

The shower requires a 2" drain pipe and an 1.5" vent. If WET VENTING is allowed in your area (you would need to call a local plumbing inspector and ask if allowed in your area) then as mentioned, you may be able to simply cut into the sink drain pipe, run that over to the shower, add a 2" ptrap and you are done with the drain and vent work for shower.

If wet venting not allowed in your area then you will need to plan on adding an individual vent for the new shower... this vent will need to connect to the sink vent at 48" off the floor or it will need to connect into the vents upstairs or in attic.

Let me know what type of pipe work (WATER and DRAIN) you have so I can tell you what tools and fittings you will need.

I don't think this project is too tough if you have basic tools and basic skills. Odds just got better that this project will go pretty smooth because you found this site :) Lots of experienced people here willing to help you... step by step!

Glad to help!

MARK

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Thompson55 has some good information here...

But be clear that you are not required to increase water lines to 3/4"...it would be nice, but almost every bathroom we have in our state only has 1/2" copper supplies going to them. Again, 3/4" is nice, but unless you are planning on installing a multi-head shower system... NOT REQUIRED!

Have good day all!

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to convert a half bath into full bath [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I hope somebody can help! My Mom-in-law is visiting and she has difficulty climbing the stairs. Hence I wanted to convert the half bath at the lower level into a full bath.Any stop gap measure would also work.I really want a low cost solution as we are planning to sell our house in the next...

Adding master bath to 1 bath home [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to add a master suite and bathroom to a 2 bed 1 bath slab home. The existing bath is behind a wall adjacent to the space where I will add the bath. My main concern is how I tie into the drain lines. I assume I will have to chip the slab or is there a way to elevate the toilets and tie...

Adding bath drain in concrete for existing half bath [ 1 Answers ]

I want to turn a half bath into a full bath in my basement. Currently the washer and dryer along with the water heater are in the half bath along with the commode and sink. I want to add a bath tub and the lay out of the room is such that the tub installation would probably require less work if it...

Cutting cement for plumbing 3/4 bath to full bath [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently in the middle of changing our basement 3/4 bath into a full bath. The bathroom is 5.5' by 13.5'. We want to put the sink where the shower was and put a tub/shower where the sink was. (because the space where the shower was is too small for a tub). The old sink drain is centered 4...

View more questions Search