Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshineangel Posts: 43, Reputation: 7

Nov 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Finding Work in Physics
    If I'm trying to figure out work and I am given efficiency how does that factor into the equation when I already know the weight, gravity, and change in height.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 06:27 PM

The efficiency simply multiplies the total energy. A process that releases 24Joules, but extracting that energy is only 50% efficient, then the actual energy useful for work is just 24*0.5 = 12J.

Ask if you have further questions! :D

Nov 15, 2008, 07:10 PM

Okay then if you have the actual work as being 12J than is ideal work 24J? And is that the same thing as actual and ideal mechanical advantage?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 04:31 AM

Sort of, yes, Actual mechanical advantage takes things into account such as bearing friction and air resistance etc. Ideal mechanical advantage ignores these (it is "ideal")

Nov 16, 2008, 11:46 AM

That makes total sense, thanks you have helped on what started as a very frustrating project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics work [ 2 Answers ]

Is this a good website for helping with school

Physics: calculating work [ 2 Answers ]

Early one October you go to a pumpkin patch to select your Halloween pumpkin. You lift the 2.6 kg pumpkin to a height of 1.08 m, then carry it 51.5 m (on level ground) to the check-out stand. (a) Calculate the work you do on the pumpkin as you lift it from the ground. (b) How much work do you...

Physics, finding speed, velocity and acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find velocity speed and acceleration. How do I label the problems when I am done.

Physics Problems ! (work= Distance * Force) [ 2 Answers ]

A force of 825 N is needed to push a car across a lot. Two student push the car 35 m . How much work is done? After a rainstorm, the force needed to push the car doubled because the ground became soft . By what amount does the work done by the students change ?

View more questions Search