Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mac6868 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Troubleshoot an oil furnace
    I have an Oil Furnace and it will not start. I hit the reset next to it and it will kik on for about 30 sec but will I get not flame. It sprays the oil.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 15, 2008, 11:24 AM
    You have a ignition problem. It could just need a good tune up or the ignition transformer could be defective.The ignition transformer generates a very high voltage from 7,500 to 10,000 volts and if you get bit it hurts.

There are way to many other items that can also cause this problem. Cracked or shorted electrodes,improper electrod gap and distance spacing from the nozzel. Improper nozzel size and degree of spread for the combustion chamber width and length, and oil pump pressure.

To do many of the items listed you need special tools and knowledge and you also need to know that improper adjustments can cost big $$$ when it comes to your oil bill.

I do not recommend you work on your burner unless you have the proper training which would be just about impossible to give you here so I recommend you call for ON SITE service for your repair.

Whatever you do stay off the reset button. If you keep pushing the reset the combustion chamber will become saturated with unburnt oil and this can be a HUGE problem when it is finally repaired and lights off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How To Troubleshoot [ 2 Answers ]

How do I troubleshoot a electrical problem with a car stereo going out after installation? Turn a corner and it went out would that mean it's a fuse? How do I check the fuse for the radio?:confused:

Troubleshoot thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

My totalline thermostat went blank. I checked the breaker & it is OK. Do I need to replace my thermostat?

Troubleshoot hotwater heater [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to check the heating elements and thermostats on a waterheater?

ARC Breaker troubleshoot. [ 10 Answers ]

I was removing a small Sony cd player in master bedroom. It made a short/ spark, circuit breaker went off. Removed cd player; Went to pannel and turn on /reset breaker for Masterbderoom; I made a mistake by reset the next AFCI breaker which is for bedroom2 (dont know why,may be itchy finger :o )! ...

How to troubleshoot thermostat? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Trane air handler and heater my thermostat just quit working (honeywell digital) no power nothing what's some things I can check. I replaced the thermostat with a new one and nothing happened. Thanks

View more questions Search