Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 21, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Do you know?
    Does anyone know anything about Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis or Irritable Bowel Disorder?

I checked out a link from another post (thank you J9) and it is informative but I thought someone would have maybe a little bit more personal experience. Whether it's you or someone you know, I was just wondering about these things.

Here's the scoop: On the weekend I wasn't doing much and all of a sudden I had the most horrific pain in my back, near my bottom rib. It went straight through to the front. Honestly, it felt like I was being stabbed. I couldn't move or hardly breath it hurt so much. I took as much ibuprophen as I thought I could and it helped somewhat but I had to continue all day with it. I am only 29 and I am trying to figure out what this might be. I went to the doctor and he said it was probably a nerve. That doctor has proven himself to be an idiot (with the whole bead in the nose thing) so I will be going to a different one hopefully soon.

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

BTW
    It is still not quite painless. It's like the pain is just lingering faintly. Make any sense?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 21, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Aqua,

Chron's Disease is "usually" detected much earlier than your age and is a VERY serious disorder and may possible be fatal if not caught early... please see this link. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddise...s/crohns/#what

I have a friend with this disease who has had most of his colon removed because it causes necrosis (death) of the tissues involved.

Please see this link regarding the ulcerative colitis http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddise...s/crohns/#what

While I have no experience with this disorder, I do understand it to be painful.

As far as IBS check this one out http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs_ez/

I know of someone with this and it comes and goes depending on types of food intake.

I am wondering if this could possible be gall stones. My mother had this and had her gall bladder removed. She seemed to have similar symptoms. Since I am on vacation visiting her right now she said that the pain would begin between the ribs and then radiate around toward the back. At first she was afraid she was having a heart attack, but then realized that the pain was not that bad and thought maybe it was acid reflux.

DX was gall stones, surgery was scheduled and she was in and out within 3 hours and back to her daily schedule within a week.

Hope all goes well, keep me up to date.

Jun 21, 2006, 08:28 PM
    THANK YOU J9! The information was great. I will have to go to the doctor soon. The pain I had was opposite. Severe back pain that radiated through my body to the front. It was terrible. Thanks for your help.
    Expert

Jun 21, 2006, 08:30 PM
    Could very well still be gallstones

Check this site out it sounds more like you than my Mom

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddise...x.htm#symptoms
    Expert

Jun 23, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Aqua:

Have you made the appointment? How are things going? Keep us posted.

Janine

Jun 23, 2006, 09:46 PM
    Janine, I haven't. I guess I'm just a little nervous about what they might say. Not to get too personal health wise but I have to say I think I have a lot of the symptoms of IBS. The pain of a gall stone would explain a lot of things. I will go, I just have to find the time to be able to go. Our one year old was puking and has had a fever the last couple of days. Two of the kids are finishing up school and there have been so many activities that go along with that like picnics, awards and what-not I just haven't had the time. Unfortunately my health sometimes takes a back seat. I just have to make it a priority so it does't get worse. Thanks so much for showing concern.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 24, 2006, 01:59 AM
    Gall stones are usually accompanied by nausea, My 17 year old daughter just had her gall bladder removed last week due to stones. She had the same pains you describe, the nausea and vomiting was a direct clue to her diagnoses. What ever the cause, please see your health care provider as soon as possible. I know you are afraid of the outcome, but anything serious needs to be found and taken care of as soon as possible. We are here to support you sweetie.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 24, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Oh honey that doesn't sound stupid at all, pain can indeed make you vomit.
    My migrains make me ralph every time. The key is to find out if the pain is causing the nausea or something else.
    If it does indeed turn out to be gallstones. Don't worry. It is a simple out patient procedure with 4 small incisions, My daughter was 100% better with in 4 days,( although she did milk it a little;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search