Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MatnMichael Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
    Motion Sensing Wall Switch causes flickering lights
    I just bought a Cooper Motion sensing wall switch. I wired it (correctly?) and I am getting flickering lights when the switch automatically turns itself off. I have good lights in the "on" positions, and when I turn the lights off there is no flicker. However, when the "motion" stops, the light flickers. I have tried a different wiring pattern with the same results and since the problem is exactly the same, I don't know if it's wiring or the light fixture. The light fixture is: Lithonia LIghting Fluorescent Luminator: 120VAC, 60Hz, 26W
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 02:07 PM
    I am not familiar with Cooper sensors, but I did confirm at their website that all the Cooper sensors are listed as being compatible with flourscent ballasts.

Connecting the sensor should be simple with only two wires, the sensor may have one wire labeled as Line and the other Load, if so confirm the feed is connected to Line, and the fixture is connected to Load.

Be absolutely sure the sensor is grounded properly.

It is possible the ballast is not compatible with the sensor, can you provide the part numbers for boththe sensor and the fixture?

You can try Cooper's tech support at:
    1-866-853-4293
    Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST

May be as simple as the sensor is defective. Wish I could be of more help. If you get this solved please get back with your results.
    MatnMichael Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Thanks for the response. I did get to speak with a rep from Cooper and was told that the fixture will not work with the sensor. My house is a 1935 duplex that was remodled... and unfortunately with shoddy repair. However, he did tell me that I have to be grounded with this fixture and that Cooper does make a sensor that will go hand in hand with my light fixture. So back to Lowe's to exchanged my sensor.
    dlabodie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Had the same problem, then I read the instructions. My switch stated that is not to be used with lights using an electronic ballast.
    robertawolf1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MatnMichael View Post
    I just bought a Cooper Motion sensing wall switch. I wired it (correctly?) and I am getting flickering lights when the switch automatically turns itself off. I have good lights in the "on" positions, and when I turn the lights off there is no flicker. However, when the "motion" stops, the light flickers. I have tried a different wiring pattern with the exact same results and since the problem is exactly the same, I don't know if it's wiring or the light fixture. The light fixture is: Lithonia LIghting Flourescent Luminator: 120VAC, 60Hz, 26W
    I had the same problem & I called the company. The guy asked if I was using clf bulbs & told me that they won't work with the 6109 or the 6105. He told me I had to buy the 6119 motion sensing wall switch. I wired & rewired just like you did. A big pain but Lowe's took them back even opend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor motion-sensing, photo-sensing wall lantern not turning off [ 2 Answers ]

Hampton Bay Motion Sensing Outdoor Wall Lantern #561456 I installed a pair of these lanterns next to my front door about two years ago, the first one works fine. I’ve replaced the second lantern three times so far – when I installed the first lantern it worked fine except the motion sensor...

Replace 3 way switch with motion 3 way [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I have a 3 way switch setup today that works and I now want to replace one of the switches with a motion sensor. I purchased the Levition PR180 to do the job. (at least it says is can). The setup I have current is 1st box - power comes in Light fixture is attached ...

Motion sensors on 3 way switch [ 5 Answers ]

First I apologize for my terminology. I have a switch a the bottom of the stairs and one at the top of the stairs. They both control the same light fixture. I think this is called a 3 way switch? My real question: I bought 2 levition motion switches that state they work with 3 way switches. The...

Hampton Bay Exterior Motion Detect Lights... [ 1 Answers ]

This will be a dumb question, but our contractor put up two of the Hampton Bay Motion Detecting lights on our detached garage. The problem is that they pitched the boxes, and the directions before we even had a chance to figure them out. Now, only the test works, which stays on for 10 seconds. ...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search