Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Throwback24 Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Nov 14, 2008, 10:18 PM
    Criminal Records and Employers
    I was wondering, if I were to have a criminal background search done and it were to come back up with a hit. What information does the employer get? Do they get a sheet listing what I was convicted of? Or does it come back saying: Person may or may not have a record. It was a youth record by the way. Can they share this information?
    SBowman Posts: 71, Reputation: 6

Nov 14, 2008, 10:20 PM

I'm not sure as to how it works in the States, but in Canada (at least, Ontario), employers can be fully aware of what happened and for what reason are certain people charged. That's why one should never steal from employers, because up here, it's the end of your career if you do.

Nov 14, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowman View Post
    I'm not sure as to how it works in the States, but in Canada (at least, Ontario), employers can be fully aware of what happened and for what reason are certain people charged. That's why one should never shoplift, because up here, it's the end of your career if you do.
    Wow :confused: Would they share this information with other companies?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwback24 View Post
    Wow :confused: Would they share this information with other companies?

The person with the info has no way of knowing where else you'll apply for employment so, no, it's not "shared" in that sense.

However, your record is available to anyone who runs a background check.
    mike_edwards Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 12:16 PM

If you were convicted as a adult ( regardless of your age) then this is public record, they can see the charge and the sentence.
    Also in most states if you did prison time, you can find where they were in prison, for how long.

All of this is available for a background search if they want.

And again it is public record so they are free to share this
    sadsadsad1234 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_edwards View Post
    If you were convicted as a adult ( regardless of your age) then this is public record, they can see the charge and the sentence.
    Also in most states if you did prison time, you can find where they were in prison, for how long.

All of this is avalable for a background search if they want.

And again it is public record so they are free to share this
    So does it mean there is no need for such thing as no conviction certificate for us citizens since you guys can all check that yourself?

Nov 15, 2008, 11:01 PM
    This is terrible news. My youth offender status expires in a year and half and was also wondering, what if the employer went through a private firm that dug up my sealed records? Could I take legal action against them? Can it even be used against me legally?
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Nov 15, 2008, 11:07 PM

If your juvenile records are sealed then they won't find anything on the background check.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderglass View Post
    If your juvenile records are sealed then they won't find anything on the background check.

I thought sealed records were available to certain law enforcement agencies - ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military criminal records [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me the proper procedures for the removal of a military criminal record and how much will cost?

Infraction in criminal records [ 3 Answers ]

I have an infraction in my criminal record (Driving w/o driver's license) It reads: DISPO: convicted Conviction status: infraction Fine: $100 I wanted to expunge this, but I talked to a lawyer, and she said that infractions can not be expunged and that infractions...

Criminal records in canada [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I wasn't thinking properly back then, 12 years ago I caught shoplifting small amount of merchant at the bay store in canada, a security guard took me the back room and take my id and so on , they said they will call the police but police never show up and 30 min so they let me go and...

Criminal Records in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

How do they work? Once you have one what are your options? How long does it stay, what jobs are restricted is there any way to get rid of it? Thank you :)

Criminal Records [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted get a clarification on what will show up if an potential employer was to do a criminal search. If I was charged with an indictable offence, but have not been found guilty and is still in the process of the courts, will this show up on the criminal history background check? What if...

View more questions Search