Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Driggar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Common Law Abuse
    This inquiry may fall under either family, criminal and / or not excluding civil laws.
    Breakdown as follows:

Time frame = July 1996 - July 2000
    Location = Oakville / Burlington, Ontario, Canada
    Subject = My wife and her ex common law / live in boyfriend

During the stated time frame, my wife was the victim of abuse by her boyfriend at the time. She can recall exact times and dates of each occurrence. Due to the mental strain and beatings, she is now left a frightened woman of 33 years of age.

She and I have been together off and on now for 14 years, married for 6. During the time of this abuse, I was residing approximately 5 hours away with no knowledge of what was going on. It was only in the last few years she began to talk about it.

I am the son of a retired Police Officer and know a little bit of Canadian law, but wish to clarify what the Statute of Limitations are for cases such as these and any loop holes, if any, can be utilized for making this bastard pay for what he has done to my wife.

I am know seeking punitive damages for her mental and physical well being and wish to have the abomination locked up for causing my once strong, bold Angel, to become a scared and meek little mouse.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 08:55 PM

How many times were the police called out for the abuse. What physcial evidence or how many witnesses are there to prove this in court.
    Photos of black eyes, doctor reports of boken bones ?
    babygurl1988 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 09:16 PM

It depends. In some countries and provinces if it's been longer than 5 years the cops will do nothing. If she filed complaints to them before but withdrew them the cops can do nothing. If she did nothing when it was happening then the cops will not do anything. I know because I too was a victim of common law abuse. I filed complaints and then withdrew my complaint and now they won't do anything about it. It took me some time to get used to men again but now I am in a loving relationship. It took him what seemed like years to get me to trust him. He kept telling me everyday that everything's over and done with and he will never hurt me. Continue talking with her and tell her it's her past. I know it's my past and I never have to deal with that a-hole again. If he pursues her however and starts stalking her or calling to her on the street and what not then go speak with the police right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it abuse [ 19 Answers ]

Ok, my step-father touches me and I hate it, but I'm afraid of what he will do if I tell someone. Is there any hope?

Abuse or not? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so I am 16... About 2 summers ago I had a boyfriend who was 21 yes I was 14 blah blah I know stupid he just wanted to have sex with me anyway and I did not so we broke up whatever... but this is kind of hard to talk about.. so this guy I was seeing his brother was a little older me and by...

Abuse [ 17 Answers ]

Hi I am 18 and I am being abused. It really hurts inside and out. To all men out there you need to know you are destroying a beautiful person, distorting her reflection, sufficating her joy for life and no matter what you think your wrong.

Abuse? [ 10 Answers ]

I don't know where to start... I am wondering when behavior becomes abusive. My husband and I have been together for 13 years and I don't know if I am in an abusive relationship. I'm not even sure I want to know. We met in highshcool and shortly after I became pregnant, 3 months to be...

View more questions Search