Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sharmy Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Is it bad to use antibiotic ointment?
    I am using antibiotic ointment on my face due to breakout:confused: because my skin type is sensitive, so it breakout very easily:o . When I use antibiotic ointment my skin does not break out:p but I don't know whether I have to keep use it or not.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 21, 2006, 03:37 PM
    Are you talking about neosporin or the like?
    I don't think that it is harmful to use, but rather contradictory, since the break outs are caused from trapped oil. Neosporin has a petroleum base so you may just be defeating the purpose

Jun 22, 2006, 08:23 AM
    Thank you stormy69:) . Previously I used neosporin but right now I am using different brand because in Canada I don't see that at shop therefore I ordered online. I think it is going to take little bit time. I am using antibiotic ointment three times a day. Is it bad?:o
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 23, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Have you tried a product for sensitive skin acne? Like clearasil? I think it's better than a greasy ointment. See this link for a lot more information on acne. http://www.acne.org/

Jun 25, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy69
    Have you tried a product for sensitive skin acne? like clearasil? I think it's better than a greasy ointment. See this link for a lot more information on acne. http://www.acne.org/
    Thank you for your big help:p Did you ever tried this one? I am going to try:)
    ndx Posts: 79, Reputation: 21

Jun 25, 2006, 10:03 AM
    Antibiotic cream is better in the long run than tablets as tablets kill the good stuff inside your stomach etc... you also get immune easier!

Be careful that it doesn't make your skin more sensative to sun light, or you will get red cheeks VERY quickly when you go out, which can be embarising, but within a few months of coming of its gone (which is good if it does happen to you, happened to me)
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jun 25, 2006, 10:05 PM
    Antibiotic ointments such as Neosporin and Hydrocortisone are used to heal abrasions and burns. I do not recommend using it excessively on your entire face for a long period. It may cause an allergic reaction, and rash or small blisters can erupt. There are antibiotic ointments that are designed to combat acne and it's gentle on the skin. You should visit your dermatologist for a product that's designed for your acne prone skin. If you can't afford to see a dermatologist, ask a pharmist at your local pharmacy to recommend a product to you.
    SHAHRAZAD Posts: 32, Reputation: 2
    -

Jun 27, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Hello pretty lady, I am using now clindoxyl gel for pimples I have very bad reaction fro it (redness, scaling, itchiness and severe swelling) but I would like to keep using it because it seems to kill the pimples, my q is how can I reduse this bad reaction I am having? If I keep using it will the reaction go away? What do you think I should do my face is driving me crazy I would love to have clear face, and my other q is this gel will help with the acne scars (brown spots)? Thank u , it is nice to have someone professional in the forum
    -

Jun 28, 2006, 10:35 PM
    Hello, SHAHRAZAD. Clindoxyl Gel is a combination of 1% clindamycin phosphate and 5% benzoyl peroxide. It's well tolerated in the treatment of moderate acne. You apply a thin film of gel, solution, or lotion to the affected area 2 times a day. The common side effects are burning, itching, peeling skin, reddened skin and skin dryness. If you are experiencing these side effects, limit your use to once a day or every other day. If your skin doesn't get better, talk to your dermatologist. Your dermatologist can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Clindoxyl. Unfortunately, Clindoxyl Gel doesn't fade dark spots, it only reduces acne. Bleaching creams may help fade the dark spots. Glycolic peels can also improve your skin's appearance. Thank you for the compliment. Good luck.
    SHAHRAZAD Posts: 32, Reputation: 2
    -

Jun 29, 2006, 01:35 AM
    Thank u pretty lady for replying and for the good advice
    -

Jul 5, 2006, 11:18 PM
    You're welcome, sweetie.
    futuredoctor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 07:51 PM
    I personally think that using the ointment can help, since it is meant for clearing out bacteria.. which partially causes your breakouts.
    Just use it at night before you go to sleep, and keep it on.
    Then in the morning, use something else to cleanse your face so you don't get too oily.

Hope I helped.
    rwbishop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2011, 08:13 AM
    I can't see where it has affected my face any, and I have sensitive skin. I have used Neo on my face for a while now, to combat infected ingrown beard hairs. Recently I tried an experiment with pill form Bactrim DS. I pulverized 1 tablet, and mixed it with some slightly heated Eucerin lotion and a little saline. I mixed the hell out of it and then gave it time to dissolve good overnight. I tried the mix for a couple of days and it is the most quick my face has cleared up. But, different strokes for different folks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good antibiotic pill form for ance. [ 3 Answers ]

Besides accutane, which is given to those only with severe acne, are there other pills that work as well that the doctor can give. My acne is bad but not so severe that the dr. will give me accutane. I need recommendations. Help...

View more questions Search