Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jam1 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Need to change panel box location in service upgrade because old one has only inches to I
    4 electricians gave estimates to upgrade a service box from 100 to 200 amps. Only one felt that the new panel should definitely be moved because the old one is smaller and sits up against the gas meter piping on one side and the corner of the garage on the other, leaving only inches around the panel. He felt it might be a matter of code violation for the inspector. The others said no it would not be a violation because the code of 3 feet (which they all seemd to interprete differently (three total feet or three feet on each side?)) only applied to new construction. An upgrade could go back into the same place. One of the other electricians felt that it would be more convienet to run new wire to the panel in the new open space and it was a judgement call,but not as a matter of code, but because it might be a better location. Since it is going to make a different of almost 300 dollars to move the box, I want to find out more to see if it is worth it. Does anyone know the code refernece in the 2008 nec? Should I spend that extra money to better locate a panel that the original builder did not put in the best spot even if code does not require it?

Thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 04:50 PM

Did any of these electricians mention that you need to contact the power company before moving the panel?
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Nov 14, 2008, 08:42 PM

Normally the EC contacts the POCO. No need for the HO to do anything, accept let them do their job.

If you have an EC selected, then consult with the EC.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 09:04 PM
    How can they interpret this differently? It is VERY clear.

30" (NOT 36") side to side total, NOT 30" on each side. The panel also DOES NOT need to be centered in this 30" space.
    36" in front of the panel.
    6'-6" height .

Nov 15, 2008, 01:02 AM

6'-6" height
    6 fT 7" :)

Nov 15, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington1 View Post
    6 fT 7" :)
    No, 6'-7" is the maximum height of a breaker handle.
    6'-6" is the minimum working clearance headroom. :)
    See NEC 110.26(E)

Nov 15, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    No, 6'-7" is the maximum height of a breaker handle.
    6'-6" is the minimum working clearance headroom. :)
    See NEC 110.26(E)
    I'm well aware of the heights!! I should have read the thread. I assumed you was talking about handle height!
    Sorry!! Are we still friends!:D:cool::p

Nov 15, 2008, 12:08 PM
    No. Because of this you are now my arch enemy! :eek:

:cool:
    :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Updating service panel to 200 amp with feeder to 100 amp panel in old house [ 8 Answers ]

I currently in the process of converting 1000 sq ft of attached garage into living space while doing this we are updating electrical service to 200 amp new service, there is 100 amp service in the old part of the house which will remain but need to be sub paneled from the new 200 amp service. I...

Service Panel Upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

I have a permit and authorization to upgrade to a 200 Amp Service Panel. There may be a need to extend the house wires in the service panel to reach the new breakers. What is a approved connection/connector to extend existing black wiers in the panel?

Service panel upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1200 sf 1958 Florida home with an older fuse panel located inside a bedroom closet, serving the entire home, including the kitchen oven, range, water heater, etc. I also have a circuit breaker equipted panel, located outside the home, immediately beside the meter, serviing the AC unit, Air...

Location of upgraded service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I am upgrading the electrical service from 100 to 200 amps and am in question of my new desired panel location. I would like to place it on an exterior wall behind the new meter location. The power company has said my new meter location is fine. I was wondering if it is code to have the panel...

Service panel upgrade [ 2 Answers ]

What is entailed in changing the service box from 100 amp service to 150 or 200 amp service. Can a layman do this on his own?

View more questions Search