Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unclejohnny Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Loss of breath, heart stopped for 20 secs.
    I recently got into a pretty bad bicycle wreck and when I landed, my right arm rammed into my chest all the way across. While my arm was across my chest, I felt no heartbeat and I knew I had knocked the wind out of me. The whole time for both of these symptoms was 20 seconds, they both happened simultaneously. My question is; I still have a harder time breathing than before this wreck, I think my ribs may have been deformed by the pressure of my arm and was wondering if that is possible from smacking the handlebars of a bicycle and catching my arm in between handlebars and myself. I am also wondering if where my heart had stopped during those 20 seconds, was I technically "heart dead" I was conscious the whole 20 seconds, but paralyzed, I knew I wasn't brain dead, where your brain stops working while the other organs stay alive. Was this a "consciously dead" experience?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 21, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Technically "brain dead" is when all brain functions cease, and this is a permanent condition, otherwise known as vegitative state.

Personally I am unsure if your heart really stopped. Not always can you feel your heartbeat. If it indeed did stop you usually need someone or something to get it started again.

Your ribs will not get "deformed" but may have been broken or fractured, which will take a good long time to heal. This will be painful and make breathing harder than normal.

You say this accident was recent. It may be a long road to recovery which may take several months to regain normal strength.

Were you taken to the hospital and seen by doctors?

If you have not seen your doc, I suggest you do so as soon as possible.
    unclejohnny Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2006, 04:36 PM
    No I got up and am just fine at this moment. My accident happened about 10 AM. As of now, I still feel a tightening in my chest when I breathe, a little pressure but no pain. I am walking and riding my bike again as if it never happened. I landed on grass, so I knocked the wind out of me and my right arm was caught tightly between my chest and the handlebars, when I got my breath back, I felt my heart beating again, so I know it wasn't because I couldn't feel my heartbeat, during those 20 seconds, I felt for my pulse in my neck with my left hand, could feel no pulsating blood flow, or if there was one, it was too long between beats before I felt it. Maybe my heart skipped a few beats and just went too faint for me to feel any pulse.
    MatnMichael Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2006, 04:54 PM
    While you did not feel your heart beating, it was still pumping away. Your brain will shut you down (unconcious) if your heart is not pumping blood to it. As a paramedic who has seen more death than I can imagine, I have never witnessed anyone who remained conscious without a heart beat. Transient Asystoli (flat line for a second) I've seen, but never what you described.

Your chest will be tight and cramped for a while and this will cause you some difficulty breathing. I'm surprised you didn't go to the hospital to get checked out. (?? ) Tomorrow you will be sore and stiff, so just take the recouperation slowly.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 21, 2006, 08:09 PM
    Unless there is something I don't know, it is practically impossible for your hear to stop while you are still conscious. As Michael said, it was still pumping away. Very few people can feel their heartbeat by feeling their chest.

You may have a condition called costrocondritis (sp?). This means that the cartilage between the lungs has been stretched or pulled beyond its boundaries. This usually occurs with pneumonia, but can happen with accidents. It will take some time to recover.

I will recommend again that you need to see your doctor to make sure no ribs are broken or fractured which could cause a punctured lung. This could be a serious and life-threatening situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chronic Bad Breath [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know what can be used for chronic bad breath? Is there an operation that can be performed or a special mouthwash?

Can you break up with someone over bad breath [ 23 Answers ]

My boyfriend has bad breath most of the time and I was so turned off by that in the beginning we got involved because he was after me for a long time and proffessed his love to me so I finally gave in and I tried to make him take care of this problem because I can not stand it , so he fought with...

Blower lasting only 30 secs [ 3 Answers ]

Just came back from vacation, and learned AC is not working. Did some simple troubleshooting, now it seems to be the blower is not working. Why, if on themostat, I leave the heat/cool to off, and on the fan, turn it to ON, I hear the fan blow, not as loudly as before, for about 30 seconds after...

The Heart [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, I have two questions The first is:Does blood flow to the heart muscle during contraction or relaxation? The second is:What are problems associated with a hole in the heart? Thanks:)

View more questions Search