Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brummy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Fuel Injection Relay Honda Prelude 1988
    I have a 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 which has refused to start. The mechanics at the Honda shop say it's the Fuel Injection Relay, BUT they don't know it's location, OR ID number. I know that sounds strange but it's true.
    Can anyone help me please? Thank you.
    PS: This is a right hand drive car as I live in the UK so that you know which side of the dashboard to tell me to look. Thanks again.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Check for a failing MAP sensor first, which controls ignition timing and fuel/air mixture. This begins by turning the ignition ON and making sure you have 5v. Going to the reference and signals wires in the MAP sensor connector. If you don't, then it could be a problem with the ECM delivering the necessary voltage to the MAP sensor.

The Main Relay should be to the right of the under-dash fuse/relay box, attached to a bracket on the driver's side wall with a 10mm hex head bolt. A 5.5cm bracket attaches to a grey box, 6.4cm x 3.4cm x 3.7cm. Remove the lower dash panel for access. Turn your ignition key on and off and the sound of the relay will lead you to it. Check out www.rockauto.com It looks like it's a Mitsuba RY314 for a 1988 Prelude 2.0. Hope this helps.

In return for the help, please let me know the solution to your problem.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 22, 2006, 12:57 AM
    See if you're getting any error codes.

See if you're getting fuel. See if you're getting spark.

If you're getting error code 16, take your main relay out and resolder it. It's the cheapest solution to try first. Txgreasemonkey described it's location correctly. If I may just add this - when you sit in the driver's place, it should be right next to your right knee, behind the dash (the fact that you have a right hand drive vehicle has been taken into account).
    Brummy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Thank you for your help,but the mechanics still insist that it's the fuel injection relay.To date they still don't know the location of it,is there such a thing as just the fuel injection relay, and it's location? They say it's not the main relay at fault. Help!!
    tokyojapan1973 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummy
    I have a 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 which has refused to start. The mechanics at the Honda shop say it's the Fuel Injection Relay, BUT they dont know it's location, OR ID number. I know that sounds strange but it's true.
    Can anyone help me please? Thank you.
    PS: This is a right hand drive car as I live in the UK so that you know which side of the dashboard to tell me to look. Thanks again.
    Contact me asap

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1988 Honda Accord Starting Problem... Not Relay [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Honda Accord LX and recently got a new exhaust system and changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap and air filter. When I was done I went to start it up and it won't run. It starts.. revs insainly high like up to 4000rpms and then dies. If you spray carb cleaner into the main bowl...

1988 Honda Accord Horn Relay [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether a 1988 Honda Accord DX 2dr Manual transmission has a horn relay and if so, where is it located. My horn buttons on the steering wheel are working properly and the fuse is good. Can't find the horn relay.:confused: Thanks.

92 honda civic no fire no fuel-new relay! [ 3 Answers ]

92 honda civic won't start- replaced distributor, fuel pump, and main relay still nothing! If I jump the 5 & 7 terminals on the relay plug the pump will work but that's the only way it will but I still have no fire?? What could this be?? PLEASE HELP!!

1990 Honda Civic Duel Point Fuel Injection [ 6 Answers ]

Before I get into doing a leak down test and changing the head gasket our there other things that can be checked first. Main relay re-soldered The condition remained the same. Car starts every time revs 1500rpms or more. If I press the pedal in long strokes the engine will hesitate and die, but...

89 Honda Civic-fuel pump-main relay [ 3 Answers ]

Have 89 Honda Civic with a carb. Car wouldn't start replaced main relay. However the fuel pump won't work from the main relay. So I bypassed the main relay for a temp solution. The main relay was brand new. I am looking for a permanent solution. Help! & Thanks

View more questions Search