Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    561packrat Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Best under-layment for Mexican tile floor
    I have a garage that is being converted into an apt. and the floor will be 12" Mexican tile . The details are as follows: existing concrete slab, 2" x6" pt sleeper/ joists on 16" centers resting on top of slab, 3/4" t & g plywood glued and screwed to sleepers. What would be the under-layment recommended , with cost a big consideration?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 05:19 PM

I am not an expert but I think you are ready to go. Maybe add a few screws if you detect any movement of the plywood. I would read the manufacturer's recommendation on thickness of underlayment but the ones I have seen specify a minimum of 3/4" subfloor which you already have. It will be a cold floor (assuming you are in that type climate) but I think it will be structurally sound.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Hi all...

Old school will agree with smearcase. I was raised using 3/4" T&G plywood for subfloors with an 5/8" exterior grade plywood for tile installations. All tile jobs that we did were fine and lasted long time.

New school would have you glue and screw a 1/4" (minimum) or 1/2" cement board to the plywood. All seams get taped with an alkali-resistant tape and the joints get a layer of thinset mortar embedded into them. All screws are alkali-resistant as well.

The glue and screw is recommended to be a modified thinset mortar in which the cement board is embedded and screwed into the mortar which creates superb bond to the plywood subfloor (see instructions below).

I believe new school wins here as I have never seen a tile loosen from a cement board if all installation requirements are fulfilled... ;).

Check out these websites for more info...

James Hardie: HardieBacker 500 backerboard

HardiBacker cement board

Let us know if you have questions...

And Smearcase... you're an expert in my eyes. I always value your opinions!

Mark

smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 06:30 PM

I agree with Mass' evaluation. I checked some sites and a min. of 1 1/8" subfloor is talked about nowadays.
    The backer board is definitely the best surface for tile and goes for about 70 cents per sf for 1/2".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use cut floor tile for a tile baseboard? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I laid down 13"by13" tile for my bathroom floor, and it looks pretty good. I have enough tile left over to make a tile baseboard. The width could be anywhere from 3 inches to 6.5 inches. What would be best? Would the finish edge at the top look strange? How could I make it look best? ...

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Is tile bullnose baseboard installed before or after floor tile? [ 8 Answers ]

My porcelain tile comes with a bullnose that I want to use as the baseboard. I found a response to another question, stating that the floor should be installed first, but I want a grout line between the floor tile and the baseboard, it would be very hard to make it uniform if the floor is...

Converting a tile floor to a stained concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about taking up the tile in my kitchen and staining the concrete underneath it, but I don't know if it will be possible to get up all the stains left on the concrete from the tile. I do not want to take up the tile if there is too much of a possibility that the tile stains won't come...

Floor Tile, Concrete floor is sealed. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace carpet with tile on concrete floor but concrete is sealed with some coating. Do I have to prime this or remove sealant?

View more questions Search