Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angel smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Income Execution
    Hello I just received letter from my the county sheriff department in my area/The letter states that this letter is an execution of my wages. It goes on about something's that I do not understand about the certain percentage of money that can be taken out of each pay check. I am of course worried and yes it is due to my own mistakes. The bottom line is I am a single parent doing it on my own because I am confused with this process I am afraid that they are going to take out hundreds of dollars from my paycheck and I'm going to end up homeless over a 1893.38 judement. Can someone explain to me what I should do or what the process is of garnishment, and should I even attempt to make a payment plann or just face the fact that my wages will be garnished at the amount they see fit. Thank you for your help A
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Nov 14, 2008, 07:11 PM

In order for them to garnish your wages they would have to have a judgement from the court. Did you receive a paper with a court date? If you did and you ignored it then they got a default judgement. But before that you would had many letters and calls and that would have been the time to try to work out a payment plan. Now that they have a judgement they have little reason to work out something now. What state are you in? Some states have a percentage that is taken out of your check but keep in mind also that they can freeze your bank account
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2008, 07:44 PM

There is nothing you can do. You apparently know that you have a judgement against you, and you failed to make payment arrangements on a debt.

The notice should explain what percentage they will be taking out. A copy of the notice has probably already been served on your company so you should see it coming from your next paycheck.

I'm sorry, but there is really nothing you can do at this time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 08:51 PM

Yes the percentage will depend on the state law. Your income level in some states and other factors.

A common ( but not everywhere) percentage is about 25 percent of your pay taken. But this can vary by state and your status, head of household and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writ of execution [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I received a write of execution for an unpaid credit card. They froze my bank account and have since taken the money out. I still owe 2800.00 I have a mortgage on my home of 45,000 and my car a loan balance of 26,000. What will there next step be?? And can they keep freezing my checking...

Writ of execution in pa [ 2 Answers ]

I live in pa . Found out bank acct is frozen. Fortuantely there is only 54 cents in it. Received writ of execution in the mail.. owe 1300. To collection agency. I make 14000.00 per year. Cannot afford attorney. My question is can they take my ten yr old car etc.. I spoke to an attorney over...

Writ of execution [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm from pgh pa and got a writ of execution letter with a form for an appeal in the mail and now my accts. Are frozen how long do I got until my money in my accts. Will be gone thanks for all your help

Execution of judgment? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NC and a lawyers office representing a credit card company rec'd a judgment against me a couple of weeks ago for $5000.00 and now they are threatening to get an execution of judgment against me and have the sheriff's office get involved! I'm currently separated (though no legal paperwork...

Execution [ 2 Answers ]

I have a redhat 7.3 linux box with cobol 4.1 installed. I upgraded to redhat linux 9.0. When I try to install cobol license manager it gives error rts32 error 114 while executing the command. The compiler works but one cannot execute programs :(

View more questions Search