Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by susananne View Post
    Judy..can I ask if you know the code reference number of the Pa. law you quoted to me. I would like to e-mail it to my landlord..although she hasn't responded to any of my e-mails asking for a copy of my lease..not even sure she is reading them. But maybe her seeing the law..will make her finally correspond. Also..don't think I mentioned I called the borough I live in on Friday...told them she has rented several rooms upstairs..to 4 individuals..unrelated to eachother..that share a common bath and kitchen. When I rented she made me believe it was simply a second floor apt., they told me it was listed to them as an aprtment complex. Not a boarding house..I also mentioned the problem with my electric..I just got an e-mail from the housing officer..he will be here Monday Morning at 10:30a.m.,,and told me to contact the Super about gaining entrance to second floor..I will probably do that tomorrow morning..don't want to give her anymore notice than I have to. Any comments from you all would be nice...Thanks

Sure - go here: Guidelines for Pennsylvania Residential Eviction

Print out what is pertinent to your situation - pretty much the parts that I quoted. I wouldn't email the landlord. I would MAIL it to her, receipt requested. Make sure she has the info.

I would caution you against being too "Attorney-like" because that path makes it easy to stumble and fall. I would say, "I found this on the Internet."

And, please, let me know how this is working out for you because I think you got taken by the landlord.
    susananne Posts: 94, Reputation: 6

Nov 16, 2008, 12:14 PM

Judy.. I just came home from work... and my landlord locked up a storage unit I was allowed to use in the basement.. I have documents and such.. my equipment for my business... can she do that? I have no access to my belongings downstairs... can you help?. Thanks
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Judy..I just came home from work...and my landlord locked up a storage unit I was allowed to use in the basement..I have documents and such..my equipment for my business...can she do that? I have no access to my belongings downstairs...can you help?...Thanks

No, she cannot legally do this.

You have to call the Police and tell them she's (the legal phrase) locked you out. They may or may not assist you, depending on their policy. They WILL advise you which Court in your area handles these matters.

This woman has crossed the line from Somewhat Irrational to Full Blown Crazy.
    coolnana5 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 04:58 PM

In md. We have an advocacy group that you can ask all kinds of tenant and landlord rights.. look on line for something in your area.. Google, landlord rights in pa or something to that effect.. maybe leasing rules for pa.. Here in md you have to give tenant 30 days notice by sending certified letter and the 30 days start the day after their rent due date.. I also think if you don't have a copy of lease, a contract might not be binding. But she just can't put you out without a legal notice and time frame according to your state laws.. courts in my county are always for the tenant, always..
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by coolnana5 View Post
    in md. we have an advocacy group that you can ask all kinds of tenant and landlord rights.. look on line for something in your area.. google, landlord rights in pa or something to that effect.. maybe leasing rules for pa.. here in md you have to give tenant 30 days notice by sending certified letter and the 30 days start the day after their rent due date..i also think if you don't have a copy of lease, a contract might not be binding. But she just can't put you out without a legal notice and time frame according to your state laws.. courts in my county are always for the tenant, always..

This is not totally correct - I have already posted in detail what is necessary, specific to Pennsylvania, to evict.

The fact that OP doesn't have a lease does not mean it's not binding - if it is signed, it's binding - the question is how to get her hands on it and admit it to Court.

Nov 17, 2008, 07:42 AM

Judy.. I believe the county will be here today.. this morning... to inspect our electrical issues and investigate the probable boarding house she is running upstairs.. also... this morning.. we were in our bedroom.. which is up against the front porch.. we saw a shadow.. and the Super.. who lives upstairs.. was trying to peek into our window.. we could see his shadow going from window to window. It was creepy.. it's started to feel like the movie Pacific Heights.. except.. its the landlord who seems nuts.. instead of the tenant. I am starting to feel a little weirded out. I will keep you posted on what happens with the county today.. I have a feeling the landlord is not going to respond to this well. And a bit worried about her reaction...
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Judy..I beleive the county will be here today..this morning...to inspect our electrical issues and investigate the probable boarding house she is running upstairs..also...this morning..we were in our bedroom..which is up against the front porch..we saw a shadow..and the Super..who lives upstairs..was trying to peek into our window..we could see his shadow going from window to window. It was creepy..it's started to feel like the movie Pacific Heights..except..its the landlord who seems nuts..instead of the tenant. I am starting to feel a little weirded out. I will keep you posted on what happens with the county today..I have a feeling the landlord is not going to respond to this well. And a bit worried about her reaction...

I know you don't want to make it worse but have you stopped at the Police Station to just discuss this with them, see what you can do?

I agree - this is spooky beyond spooky and I'd certainly be concerned. When the County rep gets there make sure he/she knows the entire situation and get advice to keep yourself safe.

Nov 17, 2008, 08:12 AM

Thank you.. I certainly will take your advice and do that...
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Thank you..I certainly will take your advice and do that...

The most important thing right now - and I know finances and where you're going to live are worrisome - is to be safe and stay safe.

I'm having a bad day - want me to drive down to PA and slap the landlord for you? :D

Nov 17, 2008, 02:20 PM

Judy.. LOL.. that would be swell... would you? Anyway.. the poop hit the fan this morning.. the county rep showed up with the fire chief! My heart was pounding... anyway.. they both came into our apartment.. honestly.. they weren't here 10 minutes looking around... light switches, most of which they wouldn't even touch because they are loose and exposed.. saw our space heaters.. which.. as you know.. is our only source of heat.. checked our outlets.. saw the extension cords strung everywhere.. because only half the outlet even work. They came back to the kitchen.. and said this place had so many violations... that they could shut the whole place down today. Not something I want.. but.. at least I know I was justified in my complaints. They asked about the people upstairs.. we told them there were 4 adults sharing 1 bath and kitchen.. they said that was illegal. Just then the Super came home and those guys went flying out our door.. and stopped him with a barage of questions. The firs chief asked why we were being evicted.. and he said because we were causing problems.. the chief responded." I bet".. in the meantime.. I had to leave for work.. as I was going.. the landlord showed up and all I heard was her screaming.. I think at me... but I didn't look up... just got into my car and left. I just got home.. place is quiet.. thank God.. no Super's Car.. no landlord or car either. So.. that is where we are.. its like waiting for the next shoe to drop. I did like you told me and explained to the Rep. about our storage and cutting cable.. he told me to get a lawyer.. he was very nice... So.. that's the latest..

Nov 17, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Also.. The county Rep. told us that he would be sitting down in a meeting with our landlord today.. and told the Super if she did not show up here or call him today.. he would issue a warrant. Obviously.. by her screaming.. she did show up here.. but I made a quik exit.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Also..The county Rep. told us that he would be sitting down in a meeting with our landlord today..and told the Super if she did not show up here or call him today..he would issue a warrant. Obviously..by her screaming..she did show up here..but I made a quik exit.

You must feel - very justifiably - proud and pleased with yourself for taking a stand... and BEING RIGHT! There is power in not being a victim. Now if the landlord (or super) decides to retaliate, you can call the Police and say it's retaliation because of the inspectors.

Now that the County is involved you may very well qualify for some type of legal aid - have you called around? This is no longer a "simple" landlord/tenant dispute.

You don't need me to praise you but take a look at your first post, take a look at your last post and pat yourself on the back. Way to go, girl! You didn't start this but you very well may have finished it!

Nov 17, 2008, 02:59 PM

Where would I go to find the legal aid.. I have already gotten the number for a lawyer referral service from the county... is that what you are referring to... and THANK YOU.. I do feel better.. a little scared... but better... You were a tremendous help to me.. and don't know what I would have done... Thanks.. hey... wait a minute... aren't you coming here to slap someone for me??
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Where would I go to find the legal aid..I have already gotten the number for a lawyer referral service from the county...is that what you are referring to....and THANK YOU..I do feel better..a little scared...but better...You were a tremendous help to me..and don't know what I would have done...Thanks..hey...wait a minute...aren't you coming here to slap someone for me???

Yes, I will be leaving shortly and will slap her silly.

I can't get the legal aid site to load - looks like the site is under construction but here's what I do see. Regional Housing LS

I can't tell from the website if they assist tenants, homeowners associations, what they're talking about. I'd call and ask - my experience with NYS legal aid is that they have all the references at their fingertips and are very helpful - if they can't help, they will refer you to someone who can.

The Bar should also be very helpful - they also have the list of no cost or low cost legal assistance agencies.

I'm going to take a look around and see if I can find any other helpful sites that don't have strings attached - and many of them are simply online intakes for law firms.

Nov 17, 2008, 04:15 PM

Judy thank you... thank you... thank you... I think I 'm in love... can we move in with you lol... any further info we definitely appreciate.. . We will be in touch.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Judy thank you.... thank you.....thank you... I think I 'm in love.... can we move in with you lol...any further info we definitly appreciate. ...We will be in touch.

Of course - I have a spare room. Just don't arrive with a cat because I have b-i-g dogs!

If you get hung up on this go to my name on any post, click on my profile, look for "send private message" (that's not e-mail, it's a message that goes directly to me, courtesy of AMHD) and send me a private message, tell me what City, Township you're in. It's posted to my name here by your name here, no personal info disclosed. (I would not post that info on the Board if I were you and I keep secrets very well.) If there are any other circumstances which are important, please include those - disabilities, children, whatever.

I am in the office tomorrow after about 10AM - I have a client coming in at 9AM; I am on the road for a very long day on Wednesday so if you're hung up, tomorrow is a lot better than Wednesday!

If you're hung up, give me that info and I'll make some phone calls to see what's available to you. I realize you're working and don't have a home phone so let me see if I can find anything.

And in the meantime - if people don't help each other in this World - what happens to any of us? And some day I'll need a favor, you'll have the answers - Karma!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 04:46 PM

Judy, I had to spread the rep. Just wanted to say how lucky we are to have you here on AMHD. What would we do without you? Don't ever make us find out. Okay? :)
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Judy, I had to spread the rep. Just wanted to say how lucky we are to have you here on AMHD. What would we do without you? Don't ever make us find out. Okay? :)

Thanks - just a simple, from the heart - thanks!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 04:49 PM

I realize that I'm off topic, and if it has to get deleted, then so be it.. but...

I just wanted to say that this entire thread reminded me yet again why I'm here at AMHD.

If I could nominate Judy as Member of the Year, I would.

The tone from beginning to end---what a change! And to see someone get their question answered, and the help that gave them, and the change in outlook--just wow.

I've been watching this thread, but had nothing useful to add (still don't--wish I could be more help, honestly). I just wanted to say that this thread made me feel great--both as a member of AMHD, and as a person who's asked my own questions.

Nov 17, 2008, 08:31 PM

They cut our elecreic... as of 6:00 this evening... we called the police,. they said it was a cival problem... goood God... we have no heat... we are going to the county rep. tomorrow... this is harrassment///... and no one seems to take responsibility... you follow legal lines... and get!. they won a battle... but not the war... help if you can... thanks in advance..

Judy... your words are carrying me.. I will not give up... Thanks again...

Synnen... ain't it the truth... thanks for your in put... Judy rocks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

In KY, what landlord legal action/collections options exist when renters vacate? [ 1 Answers ]

I own a rental property in KY, which was managed by my younger brother, and rented under a lease to 4 college students. The lease contained Joint and severable liability and states that if the tenets default I can collect in full. The short version is that the tennets one by one left school and...

Unjustly garnished tax payment [ 4 Answers ]

We were eligible to receive a stimulous payment of $1200. $600 for children and the other $600 as a married couple. We filed an injured spouse form with our taxes as I have a defaulted student loan that I am solely responsible for. The loan holder took the whole entire stimulous payment (aside from...

We won ex landlord is filing a motion to vacate [ 39 Answers ]

My husband and I recently took our x landlord to court for not paying us our security deposit. She counterclaimed that we had ruined her floors and should pay for it. The magistrate ruled in our favor, dismissed her counterclaim and ordered her to pay us $2.040 by Dec 3. We got a letter from her...

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

Unjustly Accused [ 10 Answers ]

I have been fired due to an assumption. I was told out of the blue that they think I took funds. We close out our drawers every day at four and write reciepts for over the counter customers. I was in charge of work flow and taking care of year end reciepting and disposing of old records. I was...

View more questions Search