Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adam111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Gender differences in diving
    It seems, on average, that men compete harder dives at competition level then women. Is there any reason for this?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 06:05 AM

I guess men are perceived as able to do harder dives, but I don't know why that would be the case. I think it is because there are certain standards in the rules and regulations that women can only do certain dives.

It is anyone's guess, until someone reads the regulations probably set out 75 years ago and still unnecessarily adhered to.

I would call that discrimination in a way because it is keeping women from achieving what they deserve. It is gender bias.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I guess men are perceived as able to do harder dives, but I dont know why that would be the case. I think it is because there are certain standards in the rules and regulations that women can only do certain dives.

It is anyone's guess, until someone reads the regulations probably set out 75 years ago and still unnecessarily adhered to.

I would call that discrimination in a way because it is keeping women from achieving what they deserve. it is gender bias.

I don't believe this is true. As far as I can work out divers themselves decide on the dive to do, which then has an associated difficulty rating - I can only assume that the ratings are the same for both male and female divers.

So why then do women choose easier dives?

I think the answer is in the differing ability of the male and female body - I think diving is more of an athletic sport than most people realise. Men can run faster, jump higher, and produce higher force with their muscles, so I think this is why women are less successful at getting a consistently good score at the hardest dives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial diving. [ 7 Answers ]

Will someone tell me about how much the pay can range between in the commercial diving field?

Underwater welding/ Sat diving [ 4 Answers ]

1) what is the average annual salary for and underwater welder in canada? 2) what work locations offer the best pay rates? (rivers, lakes, oceans) 3) is it better to look for work abroad? 4) what sort of bonuses/ perks are there in this field? 5) what field offers a better pay rate, and why?...

Horse diving movie? [ 13 Answers ]

Anyone know the name of this movie? All I remember is that this girl/woman? Rides a horse up onto diving platforms and then rides off the end and into a pool.but one of the dives goes bad and she gets paralyzed or blind or something, I think blind because I remember she puts two different...

Diving board [ 1 Answers ]

A diver jumps with an upward velocity of 2.0m/s, from a 10m diving board. How long will it take to hit the water?(answer: 1.6s). There is the answer but how do I get it?

Help with diving [ 2 Answers ]

PLease someone tell me how can I get myself to jump before do my dive on the side of the floor. I want it to be beautiful

View more questions Search