Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msart85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 11:43 PM
    How do I keep myself from contacting him during our planned separation?
    I've been dating a guy who I really love for over four years now. We decided to stop seeing each other for 3 months, so we could both focus on ourselves, and take time to figure out what we want as individuals from our relationship. We both agreed we wouldn't sleep around or date other people, just take some "me time". It has barely been a week and the no contact thing is killing me. I feel like my best friend is gone. I want to talk to him so bad. Three months seems like forever, it didn't seem so far away when I brought it up to him. How do I keep myself from contacting him? :(
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 06:54 AM

Realize first and foremost, and don't get mad when I say this, but the "find ourselves" excuse for a break is bs. You guys DO NOT need a break to figure out if you want to be together. You need to prepare yourself to face the reality that this may be the end of the road for your relationship. By doing this, you will learn to "find yourself" as you start becomng less dependent on him and more focused on yourself. Fill your life up with things you want to do to make yourself better. At the end of the three months, if it is truly meant to be (and I would be skeptical), you will be a much better partner because you chose to work on yourself rather than focus on him or the relationship.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 07:11 AM

I agree with KC, that whole "find outselves" is BULL! My question to you, every time something gets to hard for him, is he going to say we need to break? A relationship is a commitment to each other, to be there through good and bad. Not to abandon the ship when the seas get rough. Not to mention my relationship on here again, but if I gave up every time it got hard(and believe me, we have faced A LOT harder than anyone I know) we wouldn't be engaged and living together while being happy. You make sacrifices, you push to make it work when it needs to.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 07:55 AM

I have to agree with the others, as if you need a 3 month break to find yourself, then the relationship is probably lost.

To answer your question though, stay busy!
    Dragonfly1234 Posts: 161, Reputation: 49

Nov 14, 2008, 11:25 AM

Get a big calendar, everyday that passes, mark it with an X, do this everyday and everyday tell yourself that you cannot break the chain!
    msart85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I have to agree with the others, as if you need a 3 month break to find yourself, then the relationship is probably lost.

To answer your question though, stay busy!

Do you guys think 2 months is too long? I almost thought about contacting him in about 1 month and seeing if he wants to talk. The three month thing was my idea, and now I'm kind of regretting it (I was really crying when we had this talk). We have gone through much harder things, but both of us are frustrated. He said he's not interested in seeing anyone else, and I'm not either. The whole thing is just confusing... :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planned Investment [ 1 Answers ]

How do you solve Y=C(Y-T)+I+G when: Y=C+I+G C=C(Y-T)=125+0.75(Y-T) I=200+10r G=150 T=100

Do you think Planned Pregnancy is [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone think plannign a pregnancy is wrong? And when I say planning, like not only knowing your going to have a baby but have sex at a certain time so your baby is born at a certain month you want. Does any one think that's a bad thing or its okay? Opinions please?

Planned Parenthood STD testing [ 1 Answers ]

I took J_9's advice (well actually by the time I posted that I had an appointment at the center, but anyway), and went to Planned Parenthood to get my weird skin irritation in my vagina looked at. They took a sample for chylmidia (sp? Sorry) and gonorrhea (I think I spelled that right) with a...

Planned Marriage [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can report an immigrant who got married 5 years ago from another country to a U.S Citizen and came to U.S. almost three years now. Then, about six months ago from this date, she left her husband for no valid reason and now dating a new guy. Currently, they are in the...

View more questions Search