Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbook55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2006, 04:31 PM
    92 Honda Accord LX won't start,no spark
    My 92 Honda Accord won't start, coil has no spark.the starter cranks fast, I replace the coil, the main relay switch and the ECU module inside the distributer.I used a multimeter to check the battery voltage (12 volts) but the highest voltage going in to the coil is only 1.4 volts. I could use some help on this one. Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Turn the ignition switch ON. Check for voltage from the ignition switch to the BLK/YEL wire on the 2P connector to the distributor (+) and ground (-). It should be around 12.4v. From there, check out voltages in the distributor. However, I really suspect something else is going on; i.e. you are looking at the effect, not the cause.

3 weeks ago I started experiencing similar problems with my 1993 Civic, where it would crank but not start. I had never had a starting problem in 13 years. It took me over 2 weeks to isolate the real problem. I replaced the coil, ICM, and main relay and it still did not spark. Turned out to be a failing MAP sensor, which controls ignition timing and air/fuel mixture. This is the "Key" sensor on my car and might also be on yours. If it is failing when you start, there may be no codes thrown and it will deny power to the ECM, ignition, and fuel pump. So see if that's the situation with your Accord, which I have little experience with. However, both cars are of the same vintage and probably share the same basic technology. If you think this could be the case, turn the ignition ON, disconnect the 3P connector going to the MAP sensor, then wait several minutes. You might hear your main relay and your fuel pump start to work for the first time in a while--the sound of hope. If this happens, reconnect the 3P connector to the MAP sensor and try to start your car. Mine started right up. After that experience, I ordered a new sensor, which was expensive like most transducers.

In return for the help, please let me know the solution to your problem.
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Check out voltage on the MAP sensor reference wire. It probably should be around 5 v. If it's way low, you probably have a bad computer. Confirm voltage readings at the computer, to ensure you don't have an open between the ECM and the MAP sensor. Remember, ECMs are nothing more than "power transistors." Their primary job is to provide the correct voltages to all the sensors, under constantly changing conditions. Don't believe the stories you may read on the internet that Honda ECMs don't go bad--they are bogus. I've had to replace mine. Heat, vibration, and shorts, among other things, can render them inoperable. If your's is bad, get a remanufactured ECM with a lifetime warranty.
    vickierhodes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
    My 92 honda accord died while driving and now won't start. I have checked the starter and its good but the coil is not getting fire. Could my MAP sensor have gone out.
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
    vickierhodes, I recommend that you replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil inside the distributor, as long as the Check Engine Light comes on for 2 seconds and goes out when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II). This should solve your problem, provided the timing belt didn't break. With the oil filler cap removed, verify that the camshaft rotates, when someone else cranks the starter motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 Honda Accord No Spark [ 4 Answers ]

PROBLEM: No spark out of Coil. :( The two large wires going into the Coil have 12 voits when the ignition is turned on. Replaced Coil and spark plug wires. Coil is warm to touch after a few attempts at starting. Still don't have any voltage coming out of the coil.

92 Honda Accord won't start [ 8 Answers ]

I recently bought a 92 honda accord ex and it has been giving me starting troubles. In Dec, the mechanic figured it out a the distributor problem and I got a new one put in. But a month and a half later.. again it won't start. The mechanic again thinks it is the distributor or the computer (after...

96 honda accord won't start. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 96 honda accord ex which had a blown engine. I swapped over another engine and was able to get it to run twice, but since then, it just cranks over and feels like it wants to start up but then dies again. I'm getting spark, timing isn't an issue. I'm getting fuel to the fuel rail but it...

1989 Honda civic won't start! ( No SPark) [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everybody, My name is Leeboy! I am building or finished building a 1989 Honda civic entry level stock car for my girlfriend. I took all interior parts out( I left all the original wiring and harness for at this level we have to have lights and keep everything in original order) and installed a...

92 Honda Accord No Spark [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Yes I have 92 honda accord ex 5 speed and its not getting any sparks from the ingition coil. I have changed the coil and distrubutor and still no spark. I have removed the main relay and also the ecu computer to have them checked to see if that's the problem. So if any one can be of any...

View more questions Search