Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BlueStone70 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Property Improvements
    Would an addition of a sidewalk in front of a store front building be added to the basis of the land or added as a capital improvement on the building and be depreciated?
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Nov 13, 2008, 01:45 PM

It would not be added to the basis of land. Land assets are considered to exist forever and thus are not depreciated. The land account should only include: the purchase price of the land, any fees or closing costs to buy the land, and any grading or clearing etc needed to make the land usable.

Because the sidewalk does not fit into one of these categories and because it does not “last forever” the sidewalk should be treated as a capital improvement and depreciated over the useful life. Also, it would be better to put it in an account like Land Improvements but I guess it would be okay to add it to the building asset account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home improvements [ 2 Answers ]

I need help to find a grant on improving my home for a handicapped person who lives in my home?

Home improvements gone bad- statute of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

In 2006 we hired a contracter to remodel our kitchen. It was supposed to take 6-8 weeks, 2 years later it's still not complete. The company we hired screwed up so much and hit us with what we feel was an outrageous "extras" amount towards the end(12K), we've already paid them more than 54K. I...

Manufactored Home Improvements [ 1 Answers ]

I searched this whole site for the answer, but surprisingly it doesn't look like it's ever been asked. My father-in-law bought an older Mobile Home and is giving it an almost complete overhaul. He asked me for my "input/ideas" for the best way to run wiring between the ceiling and the outside of...

Is my poem good? Any improvements you can think of? [ 3 Answers ]

Silas The sun only shines on the other side of the world you know you love me. i know you hate me. Tell me your secrets. Ill tell you my lies. Take me home, so i can die. Love Me Hate Me Heal Me

View more questions Search