Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcoffey101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Quick Claim Deed
    My mother inlaw died with no will, we would like to keep her house in the family. How can we do this. She only has like 10 years keft on the loan.. What can we do..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2008, 08:59 AM

If she dies with no will then her property needs to be distributed according to the inheritance laws of your state. An executor needs to be appointed for the estate. That executor can then execute a quit (not quick) claim deed from the estate to one or more of her heirs.

Note, that any debts owed must be paid from the estate before any property can be distributed. The mortgage lender may agree to assign the mortgage to the heir (or heirs) being deeded the property.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 06:24 PM

You need to check the title on the property. If there was a joint tenant (someone else with her on the deed called a "joint tenant") then the property belongs now to that person(s). If not, then the property will pass through the laws of intestacy (that means there was no will) in her state. Whoever is appointed to administer the estate is called the "administrator" and then the property probably gets sold and the proceeds divided among the heirs (spouse and kids first, then I think brothers and sisters if any, and on down the line). Alternatively the heirs could own it together as tenants in common.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quick claim deed [ 1 Answers ]

I am in a trust deed compelled accounting can I recive a quick claim deed will this ensure my home as mine?

Quick Claim Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I will like to refiance my home and take my boyfriend off the deed. How much will that Cost me to do a quick claim deed if my loan amount is $ 650,000.00? I live in the state of Maryland.

Quick Claim and add name to the deed [ 2 Answers ]

I want to file a quick claim to my property and add my sister's name on the deed since she is the one paying the mortgage for the last 10 years. What is the most quick way to do this. Can I do this with out hiring a lawyer.

Quick claim deed [ 6 Answers ]

I own a house and live with my brother. I have the mortgage in my name but want to add my brother to the title. Can I use Quick Claim for this? Would a Quick Claim deed make my brother co-owner? If so, were can I find the outline? Thanks. Happpy holidays.

Quick CLaim Deed [ 1 Answers ]

Can I title my house into my sisters name, but still keep tax benefits and mortgage interest deduction? I would still live in the house and pay the mortgage and taxes.

View more questions Search