Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdawson1960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Hybrid Car ?
    I am getting ready to buy another car now. When gas prices were $4 plus, I was really thinking about buying a hybrid. Now with gas prices back down to $2 or less, should I.

I understand the environment situation, however with the cost of a hybrid being $5k plus more, I will never make the money back over the life of the 4-5 years I am going to keep the car.

So any feedback of your experience owning a hybrid, or why I should or shoulnt would be appreciated.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 08:19 AM

The payback for the extra expense of the hybrid over regular gasoline engine is difficult to quantify, and depends on factors such as what kind of driving you do and how long you plan to own your car. Hybrids excel in stop & go driving, but if you do a lot of highway driving you will get no better mileage with a hybrid than you would with an equivalent size and horsepower gasoline engine. I think most people who buy hybrids aren't looking purely at the ecomomics of it, but rather are persuaded by the chance to be publicly "socially responsible" driving a car that has fewer emissions, or who prefer to send their dollars to auto makers rather than the OPEC countries. I like to think of the hybrid as another feature of the car, like air conditioning, leather seats, or a tricked out stereo - you can't economically justify any of them either, but people love 'em.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Male alien hybrid [ 1 Answers ]

This movie came out in the late 80s or the 90s. It's about this guy who have the ability to start fire. His mother was abducted one night and she rand to a pond to conceive her child. This guy had to sleep in the tub of water to keep from bursting into flame while he sleeps. Meanwhile a...

Hybrid car batteries [ 1 Answers ]

Why can't hybrid cars get above about 40mph only using electricity? Is it because there is not enough power or because scientists don't know how to convert the power at higher voltage?

04 civic hybrid starting issue [ 2 Answers ]

OK, this has been going on for about a week now. I am NOT competent under the hood, so be gentle :) Tried to turn it over and got a little cranking but mostly loud clicking noises and the lights going on and off. If it does turn over under these circumstances, the battery light will be on and...

Tax deduction on hybrid [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am non-residient alient having Nationality Indian and for 2005 my visa status was F1 and then OPT. I bought a Honda civic hybrid so I have question whether I can have a tax deduction on it. I have read following links and I am confuse.. ...

Hybrid automobiles [ 6 Answers ]

Would like to know the good and bad experiences people who now own hybrid cars have had. Planning on buying a new car this October and need info to make a smart decision. Plan on going to the auto show at McCormick Place so I can ask ?'s directly and see what will be offered for the 2006 year in...

View more questions Search