Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 04:13 AM
    Adam & Eve
    Who believes in Adam & eve?
    Who believes that they were the start of man kind?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 04:20 AM
    I'm more of an evolution man - primordial soup, humans from apes, that whole thing. I find hard to believe that humans and all other living things just "appeared" out of nowhere.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 04:22 AM
    I somewhat agree you needkarma totally!
    But want to hear what other people think about it.
    ndx Posts: 79, Reputation: 21

Jun 20, 2006, 04:27 AM
    Adam and eve? Please. I think the closest that it can come to truth is in a metaphore for "evolution".

Just like with other religious things, that were written when things couldn't be proven, people believed them, and put their faith in them, and now they are turning out to be untrue.

Evolution, has been proved, and yet people still going on about adam and eve, and then make that whole "its not adam and steve" joke. Then I remind those people that we evolved from creatchers that were once a-sexual.

Evolution baby! Sorry than it wasn't a contrasting argument :D
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 04:33 AM
    I believe in Evolution myself.

I come from a catholic background and my brother went to a Private Catholic school and in religion classes they also finally brought up the topic about evolution. Which is good.

As people who believe in Adam & Eve, need to think that it goes against what religion believe in.

Adam & Eve, had 2 children, Kane and Abel.
    2 boys... right... OK...
    So for people who people in Adam & Eve, then how did their family carry on?
    That's the question.. Did Eve sleep with one or two of her boys.
    Doesn't make any sense does it?

Jun 20, 2006, 04:35 AM
    That is also another point that was recently my msn name!

If you believe in adam and eve, you also believe in incest.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 04:36 AM
    Precisely
    Which goes against any form of religion.

Jun 20, 2006, 04:40 AM
    HEy, let people do what they want lol, but it's not something I personally would do, and Im sure my sister would agree. So, yes, adam and eve just seems to be a story... and by the looks of things that trend might continue. What is interesting however, is that, I think as I said before, that a lot of what is said may be metaphoric for other things, or actually, just complete stories.

And I have a funny feeling if you are "jedi" incest isn't frowned upon too much, because Luke and Liear (sp) nearly got jiggy in one of the side plots.:D hehe

Sorry, that post was really badly phrased :( what I metn was its interesting to think of things as metaphores... not that I'm interesting.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ndx
    Sorry, that post was really badly phrased :( what i metn was its interesting to think of things as metaphores.... not that im interesting.
    Has anyone said you're not interesting? :rolleyes:

Jun 20, 2006, 05:14 AM
    I thought I came across as big headed! And I don't want that, because I'm really not!

I wrote my point wrong, but thank you for that, and your interesting too :)
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 20, 2006, 05:53 AM
    My favorite description of the Bible is that "It is a book of myths that at some point, people started believing were facts." --unknown (er... it's probably know to someone, I just don't remember who said it.)

I think it's a bit wacky to say evolution doesn't exist when the evidence is so abundant. However, evolution in and of itself is not a creation theory. It is a "how we got from A to B" theory. Personally, I don't have problems with theories of Intelligent Design, as I don't feel that they necessarily contradict evolution.

I do not believe the story of Adam and Eve to be fact, but as others said, myth used to explain what no living person ever could (and maybe never will).

Jun 20, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Yes, allot of religion is putting god as the answer to things that people couldn't answer at the time. Your right in saying that evolution is a from a to b theory, but, due to evolution it has been possible to trace back to where we DID come from, and what a was, and that was to my knowledge, that was bacteria. Beyond that, it was just a biological accident, that many web pages describe in more detail the correct bonding of atoms to make protein's etc, and so on making in the long run, cells, bla bla, blabla.

When I think god, I think the beginning of the universe. And to say god placed us on earth, as in god the "person", and us as a human race is one of the most self centred conclusions, and closed minded ones too. IMO of course.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Of course the story of Adam and Eve is true. The Bible, which is the inerrant and inspired Word of God, tells us it is so. If people would read and really study their Bible, they would realize they can trust in what it says. Let's face it, most people are lazy and have never read it cover to cover--yet they feel qualified to judge it. They have not done their homework and will not pass "their final exam." It's similar to when I was in engineering school and discussing differential equations with someone who has not taken advanced Calculus--it doesn't go very far and accomplishes little. A tremendous part of the Bible concerns prophecy. Over 900 prophecies have been fulfilled already, showing us that the Bible is trustworthy and that God is in control. Ignore the Bible at your own risk. Through Adam and Eve, God shows us where we came from and how sin entered the world. The rest of the Bible is pointing us sinners toward Jesus, because we are in desperate need of a Savior. God warns us, warns us, warn us, then "payday" comes.

To me, evolution is one of the biggest hoaxes ever. It's a theory, with a supposed "scientific" stamp of approval, for rebellious man to hide behind, so he can be sinful, shake his fist at God, and do whatever he pleases. Most of us at age 3 knew that God created man and the universe--some are just slower learners and take longer to arrive at the truth.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Of course the story of Adam and Eve is true. The Bible, which is the inerant and inspired Word of God, tells us it is so. If people would read and really study their Bible, they would realize they can trust in what it says. Let's face it, most people are lazy and have never read it cover to cover--yet they feel qualified to judge it. They have not done their homework and will not pass "their final exam." It's similar to when I was in engineering school and discussing differential equations with someone who has not taken advanced Calculus--it doesn't go very far and accomplishes little. A tremendous part of the Bible concerns prophecy. Over 900 prophecies have been fulfilled already, showing us that the Bible is trustworthy and that God is in control. Ignore the Bible at your own risk. Through Adam and Eve, God shows us where we came from and how sin entered the world. The rest of the Bible is pointing us sinners toward Jesus, because we are in desperate need of a Savior.

Im catholic too, been to catholic school and had religion lessons everyday (lucky me)..
    And as I've said previously even in catholic schools they now teach the prossiblity of evolution.
    I can't comprehend and believe the story of Adam and Eve, besides it goes against what we believe in... incent!
    I mean how did Adam & Eve carry on the family after their 2 boys?
    The bible doesn't mention any more kids from their behalf... so anyway the story goes.. its all incent...
    It don't make sense!

Jun 20, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Prophecies? I think I could have made a few prophecies about things and they would have happened too. I prophecies me getting a job, and my sister going to school tomorrow. Indeed people make prophecies everyday.

Im really sorry, but I have to disagree with allot of what you said txgreasemonkey, but then you will disagree with what I'm about to say. And that is that evolution has been PROVEN. The actual act of adam and eve being the only two people on the planet, walking about a garden, is a ridiculous thought because we evolved. We weren't suddenly just "here". And also, there is the problem of how two people, and only two people procreate without side effects.

I also don't think I need to read the whole bible, every single word, to offer an opinion on adam and eve, which, I have actually read about.

I also find the thought of blindly following a book completely shallow, and the only reason people do so is out of fear that they won't pass your talked about final exam, and get an eternal afterlife of pleasure.

Im not really into a god who wants me to be a follower, and to disregard everything around me. And if they are there to be tests, these PROVEN facts, then I don't really want a god who thinks its fun to P*ss me about.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 20, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    Im catholic too, been to catholic school and had religion lessons everyday (lucky me)..
    And as ive said previously even in catholic schools they now teach the prossiblity of evolution.
    I can't comprehend and believe the story of Adam and Eve, besides it goes against what we believe in... incent!!
    I mean how did Adam & Eve carry on the family after their 2 boys?
    The bible doesnt mention any more kids from their behalf...so anyway the story goes.. its all incent...
    it dont make sense!

Perhaps it doesn't make sense because you haven't read Genesis.

Genesis 5:4 (King James Version)
    4And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:

Please consider other possibilities before jumping to such drastic conclusions.

The Genesis genealogies are given through the male but that doesn't mean that there was an absence of females. The writer's of Genesis assumed that you would assume that femails were born to Adamand Eve. In fact, one of them is mentioned in reference to Cain.

Genesis 4:17 (King James Version)

17And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

BTW
    A taboo is established in order to prevent harm.
    Incest taboo prevents birth defects and also prevents role confusion within the family group.

Initially, however, the incest taboo between brother and sister wasn't operational due to the special circumstances which required that mankind procreate and fill the earth. Neither were children marred by being born from such close relationships at that time for two reasons.

1. Man was closer to physical perfection

2. God's blessings.

It was only after mankind distanced itself from physical perfection that such relationships began to be harmful. Furthermore, as non-imdediate family members became availbale fort marriage choosing those more distantly- related helped preserve nuclear family role
    Clarity.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Please consider other possibilities before jumping to such drastic conclusions...

The writer's of Genesis assumed that you would assume that femails were born to Adamand Eve.
    If everyone made their own assumptions then the book becomes anything to anyone, I can assume that Jesus slept with prostitutes because he kept company with them. See how it serves no end to imply a multitude of events that are not written?

BTW
    This thread could easily boil down to a question of faith since faith is a belief that cannot be proven.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    If everyone made their own assumptions then the book becomes anything to anyone, I can assume that Jesus slept with prostitutes because he kept company with them. See how it serves no end to imply a multitude of events that are not written?

BTW
    This thread could easily boil down to a question of faith since faith is a belief that cannot be proven.
    True! In the DaVinco Code, didn't it say that Jesus had a relationship with Mary Magdelene?

Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Those who think that the Bible is open to all and any interpretation and that all these interpretations are all equally valid regaredless of how greatly they differ from one another do not understand the Bible and perhaps never will.

About assuming, I'm not assuming anything though when faced with the obviously ridiculous and the rational a reader is expected to choose the former in preference to the latter unless bias is his agenda. In any case, your accusation that no daughters of Adam are mentioned is false.

About Jesus, he condemned sexual immorality.
    Anyone familiar with his teachings would never reach such a ridiculous conclusion.

BTW
    I suggest that you apply the same skeptisism to your evolutionary ideas since they are
    based on preconceived notions, biased opinions, assumed causes, and educated conjecture.

Starman, u don't know a lot, you are well educated with all of this.
    But remember religion is all down to faith. Its not faced with facts and the obvious as u state
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 20, 2006, 11:03 AM
    I believe that we have already had a discussion concerning Evolution and Inteligent Design.
    It would be best to take this to that thread.
    I'll even open it so you can all post.
    See I can be nice ;)

OK I have moved all the evelution comments to the thread mentioned above.
    Please feel free to continue that discussion there.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 20, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    True! In the DaVinco Code, didn't it say that Jesus had a relationship with Mary Magdelene?
    Why should I believe the DaVinco Code in preference toi the Word of God?

Starman, u don't know a lot, you are well educated with all of this.
    But remember religion is all down to faith. Its not faced with facts and the obvious as u state
    I don't know a lot yet I am well educated in all of this?
    Isn't that self contradictory?

You are 100% wrong about religion. My belief in God is based on the evidence of a universe which shows clear indications of planning, design, forethought and, contrary to what you have been taught and have chosen to believe, which blind chance could nerver produce. So unlike evolutionists who must dig holes our evidence and support for our belierf in a creator is always at hand and ever present.

Evidence For Intelligent Design -
    Phenomenal discoveries in the last few decades have unequivocally demonstrated that living systems are machines at the deepest, molecular level.
    http://www.allaboutthejourney.org/ev...ent-design.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adam Smith [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with the following question: How does Adam Smith's allegory of the shopkeeper allege that capitalism solves the problem of human evil once and for all? How might one argue against this claim? What do you think?

View more questions Search