Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TDoggett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Vested Balance & Ending Balance
    I'm having a hard time understanding my statement. I've asked my employer and have asked the rep for my 401k company but I still don't get it. My most recent statement shows my ending balance and my current vested balance. These two numbers are different from one another. What's the difference between the two? My ending balance is about $700 more than my vested amount.

Can someone please explain this to me?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 07:08 AM

The vested amount is less than the ending balance because your plan has a "vesting schedule," which means that the matching contributions they make into your account really isn't really yours until have a certain number of years working for the company. So the vested amount is less than the "balance" until you have met the requirements to be fully vested. The specifcs of how your balance vests depends on the specific rules set by your company. Perhaps an example will help: the plan at my work, has a vesting schedule that says 20% vests after 2 years, 40% at 3 years, 60% at 4 years, 80% at 5 years, and 100% at 6 years. This means that until I reach 6 years employement with this company, if I leave I will only get a perecentage of the amout they have added to my account. Once I get to 6 years I will be fully vested, and if I leave after that I can take the entire balance with me. Again, plans vary, so ask your HR department to explain the vesting schedule to you. One other thing - this vesting only aopplies to the money your company contributes to your 401(k) account - the money you put in from your salary and its earnings are all yours.
    InquiringMind_1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
    I glad this answer was available. I was thinking my former employer was trying to mess me over again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting need assistance with adjusted trial balance, doesn't balance [ 3 Answers ]

1. Office supplies on hand at year end amounted to $ 420 2. The equipment costing $30,000 has an expected life of six years and no salvage value. Mike uses straight-line depreciation. 3. A premium of $ 1500 for a one year insurance policy was paid on November 1. 4. Wages earned by employees but...

Determining an Ending Account Balance [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in determining the end balance of this account below. I have tried an continue to get the wrong answer. Wilma's Accounting Services was organized on April 1, 2007. The company received a contribution of $1,700 from each of the three principal owners. During the month, Wilma's...

Computing the ending balance in the allowance for uncollectable accounts? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for help with the following questions, I have myself very confused with the credits/debits, can someone help with these study questions and explain how the answer is arrived at:confused: :confused: Would the answer for a) be $2,320? Compute the ending balance in the allowance for...

Ending inventory balance [ 1 Answers ]

Optima Corporation applies the lower of cost or market rule for inventory valuation purposes on an individual product basis. On December 31 2006, the following data was available for its two products: Product Quantity Cost/unit Market/unit VHS 100 $5.00 $3.20 DVD ...

Ending balance of a capital account [ 1 Answers ]

How do you determine the ending balance of a capital account?

View more questions Search