Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lefleyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Blood in stools
    Hi. I have an 11 week old huskie called Busta, living up to his name, eating everything he can, with bundles of energy that is prooving impossible to burn off in the house alone! We got him at 8 weeks old having been told by the breeder that he had been wormed and flea'd. It now looks like we were lied to and that he had not been reated at all as we discovered round worm in his stools after giving him a treatment for both fleas and worms given by our vet when we had the first of his 2 injections. He has been given a worming tablet since by the vet after discovering this, Monday gone. I have today noticed that there is a tiny bit of blood in his poo. Would this be normal after being trated and having round worm? What else could it be? How long should I give this until I take him to the vets? He has also been on Chicken and rice because of the dihorea, as instructed by our vet. We are slowly reducing the amount and introducing a complete dry food into this which seems to be helping with the runs. Could I be feeding him too much perhaps as I looks like he is straining when it looks like he has finished? Many questions I know but this is my first dog and although I know a bit, I didn't exepect any of the trouble that I have had so far with the worms and blood. He is a healthy weight weing in at just over 12kg, massive for his age but he is massive to look at too so we are told he is otherwise healthy.
    Cheers
    Dannie:confused:
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Nov 12, 2008, 04:28 PM

The prescence of worms doesn't necessarily mean that the breeder did not worm the puppy, since it can sometimes take several wormings to rid a dog of them. Perhaps the puppy was only wormed once or with a low quality wormer. Blood in the stool can sometimes be caused by wormers, but it is always best to check with your vet. Are there any other symptoms like lethargy or vomiting? Those would be indications of a much more serious problem.
    lefleyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Hi. Thanks for your response. He definitely has no lack of energy, except for when he has eaten and that's only for about half an hour or until he has been toilet. He has not been sick at all. He has had no more blood since so it has only been the once. He has his last of the 2 injections on Monday so I will get it looked at by the vet then, and keep you posted on what they say.

Cheers
    Dannie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppies stools as a little blood in [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there I purchased a westie nearly 2 weeks ago (he his nearly 11 weeks old) but last night I noticed that he pooped there was a little drop of blood towards the end when he was finishing. He is very lively and there is no change in his behavior or his eating but I am concerned about this. ...

Blood stained stools [ 2 Answers ]

We have just purchase a Highland Terrier which is nearly 9 weeks old. He is quite small and a bit of a runt of the litter but very lively. Since we Bought him home his motions have been very loose and some seem to blood stained. Yesterday his seemed to be straining and only passed blood and...

Blood and mucus in puppy stools [ 1 Answers ]

My 8 week old puppy has had 2 stools that were loose and had blood and mucus in them, is this parasites?:confused:

I have blood in my stools [ 2 Answers ]

Here is a breakdown. I am 32 years old. Female. Three kids. Smoker for 18 years. I have blood in my stool and stomach cramps along with diaria. I have to get a colonoscopy done to find out what is wrong. Now I'm on my period even though I just got off it two weeks ago. I feel dizzy and weak and...

More blood in stools [ 1 Answers ]

I went to my PCP about a month ago for a small amount of blood in my stools. He said it was internal Hemmrroids from pregnancy and no big deal and told me to expect more. Since then my stool s have turned to pebble like at each movement and today they were covered in bright red blood, It was the...

View more questions Search