Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Nov 12, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Re-capturing data on an unfinalized DVD
    I transferred many VHS tapes to DVD on my Pioneer DVD recorder, and finalized them. A few other DVDs I was working on had space left over for more recording so I left them un-finalized to use later on. Then, unfortunately, the recorder broke, leaving those discs still un-finalized. So, then I bought at Panosonic DVD recorder, but those unfinalized DVDs will not play on it and also will not finalize them. I know there is a software program that makes it possible to re-capture what's on those discs but I forgot what it is called. Does anyone know of that software to download, or what it is called? Thanks.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 05:16 PM

Where they converted to vob format on the dvd's

What format are the files on the disks that are not finalized
    NoDaddy dot com Posts: 101, Reputation: 0

Mar 4, 2009, 03:07 AM

Finalize DVD-R, is this possible? - VideoHelp.com

Mar 4, 2009, 07:44 AM

Not clear what a VOB file is. I would assume they are, but there is a program that transfers these videos to normal viewing.
    2nd question: yes, DVD-R are finalized, otherwise they cannot be viewed on any other device other than original DVD recorder.
    eddiy75ru Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Mar 22, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by richka View Post
    I transfered many VHS tapes to DVD on my Pioneer DVD recorder, and finalized them. A few other DVDs I was working on had space left over for more recording so I left them un-finalized to use later on. Then, unfortunately, the recorder broke, leaving those discs still un-finalized. So, then I bought at Panosonic DVD recorder, but those unfinalized DVDs will not play on it and also will not finalize them. I know there is a software program that makes it possible to re-capture what's on those discs but I forgot what it is called. Does anyone know of that software to download, or what it is called? Thanx.
    Program "Sonic Burn Now" v7 has Utility to Finalize an Open/Unfinalized DVD (believe Sonic was bought by Roxio). Sonic has saved me several times when I have had open DVD or CD. The files on the DVD are likely all good, but since not Closed/Finalized they are not easily readable. Also if you go back to whatever Burner Program (not the drive equipment) you were using and opted to leave the DVD Open, that same program should have choice to now Close/Finalise that DVD. I know Nero Burn has this, but sometimes you have to drill down looking for that Finalize checkbox. Also ISOBUSTER program has good recovery capabilities (may not be in Free version), but with free Isobuster you can see that data/files are on the DVD, even when other programs and device cannot read them. One last trick, if you want to save/copy the good files off the DVD, if you can boot PC under a LINUX OS (UBUNTU $20 at BB), files can usually be seen and copied to another drive.

Mar 22, 2009, 12:00 PM
    Eddiy75ru
    Thanks for this information. I'm not sure what you mean. You refer to the original 'burner program". These unfinalized discs were done on my Pioneer DVD recorder, which is is now broken. Is that what you mean. I am guessing you believe I know more than I do about this. You mention Nero Burn. I DO have Nero 8 installed on my PC. Is it part of that?
    How could I use it? Could you possibly tell me step by step how? I'm guessing here: to put the unfanalized disc in my PC E drive with the Nero 8 BURN on and then play/start. The movie will then go into my hard drive, finalized, then I transfer the data to a new disc? Is that right?
    You see, I'm what you might call an 'intermediate beginner'. I used to think I was 'intermediate' at least, but a geek friend said no, I'm still a beginner. But personally I think I'm more than that... more of an intermediate level beginner. Anyway, thanks for your knowledge about this and any furthr suggestions I would appreciate.
    eddiy75ru Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Mar 24, 2009, 03:48 PM
    richka, :( Sorry I have not replied sooner. I gather you were using a desktop DVD recorder, whereas I was thinking PC DVD RW (Reader-Writer, Burner). So I am not good enough to solve your problem. But no matter what brand equipment you use it had to use an on-board software program to accomplish converting and transferring the files onto blank DVDs. I do not know what Pioneer used, but could be a form of NERO. You may try emailing Pioneer and asking, but might be waste of effort. Given your more difficult situation, may be more prudent to try to salvage what completed files (very likely DVD Movie standard types ending with .vob, bup, and .ifo). If you put a movie DVD into a PC and read/explore the DVD (after stopping any auto-run Player program), you will see the typical files and directory structure on the Movie DVD. The .vob files are the actual movie where the rest is controls and menus and audio. BUT even if you can salvage any good files, rearranging them into usable DVD Movie by any software like Nero ROM/Recode, WindowsMovieMaker, CyberLink Movie Maker, etc. may be too tricky (near impossible). If possible, go back to original VHS tapes and recapture with new Panasonic Recorder (desktop too! ). I realize it is frustrating, but trying to slavage now is like struggling in quicksand. Sorry and Empathy!
    Sean_Le_Rats Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 01:52 PM
    "You may try emailing Pioneer and asking, but might be waste of effort."

Damned RIGT it was! I even went so far as to CALL their Headquarters and flat out ask them if they could provide me with software pertaining to my DVR-RT401 so that I could do what this gentleman is talking about. They DENIED that the software exists and refused to help me any further. Personally I think it is just a big fat plot to get us all to ditch our DVDs and buy f@#k&ng BLUE RAY. Same bloody thing they did to us with VHS, same thing they did to us with RECORDS. Déjà vu ANYONE? I WANT MY BLOODY VHS TRANSFERS AND I WANT THEM NOW!!
    Sean_Le_Rats Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 02:02 PM
    Not to mention the fact that the COCKROACHES in my old apartment were treating my videotape collection like a bloody HOTEL but thank the GODS I did not throw them all out. Now if I want to re-transfer them I will have to open up every ONE of them and clean cockroach s#!t and p!$$ (yes that's right, they DO that stuff... think hundreds of little MICE and the STINK coming from my videocasettes)! THANKS PIONEER

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Data entry or data processing from home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Florida, My name is Don and I am looking for a free data entry from home website that I can find. It is not easy to find! Please help!

Capturing images from .wmv files [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot figure out how to capture images playing from .wmv files. For example, I am watching a home movie on my computer using windows media player and I have paused the video at a certain point. I would like to make the still image paused on windows media player into an image file and further...

Capturing feral kittens [ 8 Answers ]

We are trying to rid our neighborhood of stray cats. I have been trying to catch the kittens when they are 8-10 weeks old, to see if I can tame them enough to be adoptable for others. Anyone have any ideas to accomplish this? They are VERY fast! I've been feeding them, and hope to lead them...

Capturing Lpt1 port [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! How can I captured my lpt1 port my operating system is windows xp pro...

View more questions Search