Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2006, 08:23 PM
    No, the compressor runs on 220 v. I think you need to have a local HVAC technician review the wiring. The condenser fan shouldn't be getting that hot and you should be able to tell when the compressor is running--it makes a unique sound. Be there when the technician reviews everything because you will gain valuable information that you wouldn't otherwise. Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.
    oneboysurfing Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2006, 10:29 AM
    How many wires go to the run capacitor? Currently I have only one- where should it be connected? Fan, c, or herm terminal?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Normally, a Red wire goes from the Common (C) terminal on the round run capacitor to T1. The other Red wire from the Common (C) terminal on round run capacitor goes to the start capacitor. An Orange wire normally goes from the Hermetic (H) terminal on the round run capacitor to the start winding (S) on the compressor motor. The other Orange wire from the Hermetic (H) terminal on the round run capacitor goes to the start relay.

I believe you disconnected the wire that goes from the Fan (F) terminal on the round run capacitor to the start winding on the condenser fan motor, because you installed a separate line run capacitor for your new motor.

Talk to Robert at famousparts.com. He should be able to straighten it out.
    oneboysurfing Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2006, 10:10 PM
    Turns out I had only one wire going to my new two terminal oval replacement , one wire (red) from the compressor , and needed to jumper from the common wire to the second terminal to supply power for the compressor. I had no power going to that capacitor. Now I haer the compressor turn, but it is making a hissing sound after a minute or so. Does this indicate a problem with the compressor? Should I have 2 120v jumpers going to the compressor? You mentioned early on that the compressor runs on 220v sound like I need to, but want to verify . Haven't blown up a cap yet but do not want to either.
    harpojack Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 05:31 PM
    You say that you put a new fan blade on the new motor? You may have put it the wrong way try to take it off and flip it over because the pitch maybe wrong. When it does run for that short time is it blowing out a lot of air? If not it maybe the blades are upside down, if this doesn't work after you flip it over switch the plug that changes the rotation. I just helped out a friend last night that had the same problem hope this helps.
    jimdandy2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 01:27 AM

My vertical Rheem evaporator appears to be slowly leaking freon over time, every now and we notice because it develops ice and then drips... I am told I should run some Clorox into it, how would I do that, assuming it's a good idea?
    harpojack Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 03:49 AM
    What they maybe talking about is your condensate pan dain line. If the line gets clogged up you have to unblock the line then you can pour some bleach into the pan to clean it out. But it sounds like the problem that you are having is that you have a leak in your system. When it gets low on charge it will freeze up and start dripping water from the evaportor. Need to get the leak fixed first.
    Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square D QO Box good for residential? [ 6 Answers ]

A friend of mine has a Square D QO13040L200G box and a QOM2200VH main breaker to go with it, that he will give me a great deal on. This is a main lug box with the main lug adaptive main breaker. Is this box with the add on main breaker acceptable for residential use? Is there any pros/cons to this...

Wiring of a Rheem Condenser fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

The motor looks to have 2 orange wires, 1 black wire, and 1 brown wire. Where do they go back to. Do the 2 orange wires go to the capacitor? Black go to contact + and brown to common? The 2 orange wires have continuity between them with no or little resistance. Are these both ground wires or...

Residential Wire splicing [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to relocate an old receptacle to a new wall location in our house. If I will splice a new wire to the old one and put it in a box, should that box be visible on the wall(with cover plate) or can I just hide the box inside the wall. Thanks.

Rheem roof top heater [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Rheem combination heating and cooling rooftop unit equipped with intermittent ignition and it's probably 10+ years old. The problem is that it won't light. I turn on the thermostat to call for heat. The vent motor turns on and then the ignition spark is energized, (I can see...

View more questions Search