Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    legalLP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Co-borrower wife is not on deed. Any property rights?
    My husband and I both signed as co-borrowers on the mortgage, however we did not have my name included on the deed. I was wondering if I can claim any property rights or ownership of the property for the purpose of a civil forfeiture action? I live in Illinois, and have been searching online to find case law that supports my position (I went to law school for a year, but never finished), and was hoping maybe someone could lead me down the right path.

Other site online that I found stated "if you are a co-borrower, you have an ownership interest in the property as well as the responsibility for paying the Mortgage." Could anyone elaborate on this?

Thanks in advance!
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 12, 2008, 01:30 PM

let me see if I understand - your husband has some kind of judgment against him and you want to keep 1/2 the house?

I can't say for sure, but I would contact a lawyer. They usually give free consultations.

this is from wikipedia if it helps clarify for you:

In civil forfeiture cases, the US Government sues the item of property, not the person; the owner is effectively a third party claimant. Once the government establishes probable cause that the property is subject to forfeiture, the owner must prove on a "preponderance of the evidence" that it is not. The owner need not be judged guilty of any crime.

that makes me think that as a 3rd party, you may have a claim to half - what may contradict that is if you file your taxes jointly, they may be able to take your interest (share). Possible remedy = divorce?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband and Wife on Deed, Both Pass away who get property [ 3 Answers ]

Asking in Phila Pa. married couple on deed. Wife passes, husband passes a few years later. Both have adult children, none together. Who gets the property? I think at some point 1 child had the sickly father sign deed to her. Is it all hers or do any of the other children have any recourse on...

Co-borrower and deed/title [ 1 Answers ]

Does a co-borrower always have to go on tile/deed?

Should Wife be on Mortgage and Deed? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My husband and I are were married in California and are buying our first house in California. He is obtaining the mortgage because he has a great income. He said it would be easier because, although I have better credit, I had a low income last year. In CA, will the lender stipulate...

Removing ex wife name from deed [ 1 Answers ]

In my divorce my ex never show up and the judge awarded the house which was my befire we got marry and the bank out her name in the deed after we were married she said she wiuld do a quit ckaim deed for last month and now she refuse to even doe the divirce paper said the house is my how do I get...

View more questions Search