Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julisan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 11:38 AM
    What happens to those who filed 1040 EZ form instead of 1040 NR EZ?
    What is the penalty or how the IRS will track those who are many filling the 1040 form instead of the 1040 NR.

If you go online and use any of the software for taxes they don't option for NR so you end up using 1040 as resident.

How this will affect these people?

It is cumbersome to figure out if you are a resident or not. The last thing I read is that Student are considere nonresident for 5 years. Read publication 519 from the IRS.gov
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 12:23 AM

F1 students are non-resident for 5 years and must file non-resident tax return.

If you filed resident tax return, you should file Form 1040X (amended tax return) with properly done Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

Most of the softwares do not do non-resident tax return. You must do paper return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 10:39 AM
    The IRS has neither the time nor the resources to properly track tax returns filed by foreign students, so it is unlikely they will determine on their own whether you filed correctly or not.

That said, if you apply for a green card, you are specifically asked if you filed the proper tax returns and paid taxes while in the U.S. under all visas. If you answer incorrectly and the USCIS determines this fact, it can be grounds to deny your green card application. The USCIS does request the IRS verify your filing status during all previous visits to the U.S. and that is when the IRS will decide that you filed incorrectly.

If additional taxes are due, the penalties are 25% of the taxes owed, plus interest compounded annually. Over ten years, that can easily DOUBLE or TRIPLE the taxes owed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wrong 1040 form filed [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in the States since May 2004 under J-1 and worked for 6 months then I entered graduated school and changed to F-1. I filed my taxes using 1040 NR EZ, for 2005, 2006, and 2007. I am working now with an EAD card. The IRS told me that I did not received the rebate check because I...

Filed taxes using form 1040 on F1 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this forum and found it very useful. I was on F1 visa till 1 October, 2007 and I was on OPT from March till October 2007. Now from October, 2007 onwrds I am on H1B Visa. I still have to file my 2007 taxes, I have few quesries.. I really appreciate any help. My que are 1....

Wrong Tax form filed by f-1 student. Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a dilemma and I will really appreciate your help. I am a student/f-1 visa holder (non-resident alien). Last week I used an online website (File my taxes for FREE! with FreeTaxUSA) to file tax returns and realized that the website used Form 1040, and PA-40 - 2007 (for...

Noneresident / filed wrong tax form 1040 instead of 1040nr [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I live in Europe and own real estate in California since 1984. Between 1984 and 1990 I have lived always more than 180 days in California. My daughter was born in 1990 and the wife and I only have visited the state of and on during the year. Until I got married to my wife I was always paying...

Filed 1040 in 2005 instead of 1040NR: Which form should be filed for 2006? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US in Fall 04 and since then have been continuously on an F-1 student visa. I filed form 1040NR-EZ for 2004, but for 2005 I hired a CPA who (without informing me) filed a 1040 on my behalf. In there, he claimed an education credit (or something to that effect) which effectively...

View more questions Search