Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    undecidedinohio Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Going to the Mairnes?
    I have wanted to go to the marines like my dad who was drafted to the army in vietnam but joined the marines. When I told him I wanted to do this he got really pissed and told me he'd kill himself if I did. I understand what he's feeling and that he will be worried that I might die but I've told him if I was going to die I would rather die for my country then for a pair of shoes in the ghetto. He keeps thinking that if I go to the marines by the time I get out he won't be able to hunt anymore. I'm 18 right now and am trying to decide what to do I need help please.:confused:
    mommyoftwins200 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2008, 10:59 AM

This decision really needs to be thought about. Do not just go because your dad went, he's looking out for you and knows what it is all about. I know a lot of people who have died in Iraw recently and its very heart breaking. This choice is totally up to, and nobody can tell you what to do. Your father will not kill himself because you are going to go, he may be very upset but will get over it. Do what your heart is telling you to do. You just need to explain this to him.

Nov 12, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Marines or bust?
    I don't just want to go because my dad was in it it's something I've felt I always needed to do for myself just to know I could make it and to one of the few and the proud
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 11:04 AM

Go with God safely on your shoulders.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 01:17 PM

That's a fantastic goal and the country desperately needs determined people with commitment like yourself. No, needs isn't strong enough---it's more like won't continue to exist-- without people like you. Just be sure you understand how serious the commitment will be. God bless you.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 01:23 PM

I can understand his not wanting you in the military in the times we are living in today. However it is your decision, and as such he needs to understand your position. Remind him that only about 20% of the jobs in the military are actually front line riflemen. Do you have something that you are really good at and would like to make a career of? Look at getting the schooling.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 01:45 PM

I just left you a post on your first question. I should have read this one first before answering. All threats of suicide have to be taken seriously. I don't know your father and I don't know what experiences he had in the USMC.
    I don't know quite what to say but I think the most likely problem is that he is afraid you will die, it's that simple. And you are not likely to convince a former marine that there is not a chance you could be killed because there definitely is.
    I have two not so great suggestions:
    Go to see a counselor (maybe even the Marine recruiter) with your father and see if you two can come to some kind of agreement, or
    Consider another service. How about Navy Seals? (They die sometimes too) or even Navy Seabees like me. Air Force and Army both have elite teams similar to Marines.
    My father steered me to the Navy because he had good experiences with the Navy in WW II.
    It was great advice for me. Maybe your father is pushing you away from Marines because his experience haunts him to this day.
    Maybe your father is giving you good advice too. I hope you can come to an agreement. You have managed to insert yourself between your family and your country. I think you both have to compromise and come to an acceptable solution for both. Compromise is nothing new or to be ashamed of--all of us do it everyday. Best wishes in your decision.

Nov 13, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Oing to the marines
    I have wanted to go to the marines like my dad who was drafted to the army in vietnam but joined the marines. When I told him I wanted to do this he got really pissed and told me he'd kill himself if I did. I understand what he's feeling and that he will be worried that I might die but I've told him if I was going to die I would rather die for my country then for a pair of shoes in the ghetto. He keeps thinking that if I go to the marines by the time I get out he won't be able to hunt anymore. I'm 18 right now and am trying to decide what to do I need help please.

Nov 13, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Marines or bust
    I don't just want to go because my dad was in it it's something I've felt I always needed to do for myself just to know I could make it and to one of the few and the proud
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 13, 2008, 01:46 PM
    >Four threads merged<
    Please stick to one thread rather than starting new ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search