Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tarhil7 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Ants in my home
    Dose anyone have a good home remedy to get rid of ants, something that's safe for kids to be around?
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 20, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Ants find their way into a house primarily through cracks n the foundation and small openings around the house near the ground. Take a walk around your house to see if any ant-like activity is detected.
    Boric acid has worked for me in it's powdered form. I do not know if it is safe for use around children.
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jun 20, 2006, 10:07 PM
    A pest control guy gave my friend "ant traps". They seem to go into these little boxes or something of the sort. Ants follow a scent they leave behind, if you can find where they are coming in put cucumber juice there, is neutralizes their scent. Putting any powder there also helps, we used foot powder once when I was in college. It was all we had.
    xcandybabex160 Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Jun 21, 2006, 01:02 AM
    We have ants in our house its cause of the wheater,we just kill them with hot water that kills them they don't like that its like with slugs they hate salt lol. You could always get some bug stray to kill them. Good luck!
    ndx Posts: 79, Reputation: 21

Jun 21, 2006, 01:12 AM
    Mouse traps are good, as in the sticky pad ones. They are VERY sticky though, but put them all round the crack the ants are coming in.

They are fine to use with children as long as they don't try to eat them and/or roll their eyes on them or something :D

You could also try boiling water, but ifas its your house, I don't suppose you want to poor that on your floor >_<

-Chris
    dxviii Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Aug 6, 2006, 12:43 PM
    I have tried Torro, ant traps, bleach, and nothing works. A neighbor suggested Vinegar.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 6, 2006, 01:22 PM
    Wash your countertops, cabinets, and floor with equal parts vinegar and water and make sure all food products are in sealable containers. Sprinkle ground cinnamon where you see their pathss. Some ants species will avoid cinnamon. Use talcum powder or chalk as a barrier along ant trails. If you can locate the ant colony, hit it with boiling water. If you can find a hole where the ants are a coming in the house, squeeze a lemon, dripping the juice into the hole or crack. Then put bits of the lemon peels all around the entrance. I routinely have those tiny sugar ants every spring in my bathroom (must be the water) and use these methods since I have pets I don't want exposed to pesticides.

Borax works well on fleas too but I am not as comfortable with the idea of pets stepping in it and licking paws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fire Ants [ 5 Answers ]

I am from east Texas,and need some advice on killing these fire ants.just ran up on this site some how,and glad I did.sounds like fun and informative.just wanted to say hi to all.

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Ants in the apartment, cats and anxiety! [ 1 Answers ]

Live on the third floor of an apartment building and am having a problem with small black/brownish ants. I first noticed them on a chocolate spill that I did not realize was there (silly cats knocked over a beverage). I IMMEDIATELY cleaned the spot, followed their trail, washed the trail and...

Ants [ 7 Answers ]

Does anybody know any good tips for getting rid of ants?

My kitten was covered in ants evan in her eyes now she's blind and dying [ 2 Answers ]

i found my kitten in my sisters room and it was compleatly coverd in ants evan in her eyes and mouth...i got them all of but now she is blind and she is dying..but i dont know what to do....i tried feeding her...and it did give her some energy....but not much...what should i do?

View more questions Search