Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Nov 12, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Home built in 1952 with ungrounded wiring – What can I do?
    Okay I have been reading as much as possible about home electrical wiring and plan to pick up a book from the library and read some more. However I am novice when it comes to electrical am I crazy for thinking I can do these repairs on my own with a little reading (I am a pretty quick study). I have a muti-meter, AC current detector and an outlet tester (with the three lights). Here is what I am thinking of doing:

Run a new line to the Dryer and install a new outlet and 4 prong plug. Okay there is modern 10/3 romex running from the panel to a conduit. Past the conduit is old 10/3 ungrounded romex (insulation is starting to flake off). I was going to replace the old 10/3 romex with new stuff, install a new outlet (with ground) and replace the cord from the dryer to the outlet (b/c it is only 3 prong). Does this sound like something I can do myself? Also do I need a permit and/or inspection? I live near Syracuse NY.

Also, most of the outlets in the house are not grounded (two prong) and I would like to correct this issue. I opened up an outlet and confirmed that there was no grounding wire in the original romex. The old wire has black tar like stuff on the outside then a cloth like material and finally plastic wrapped hot and neutral wires. I think is it 12/2 style but I guess it could be 14/2.

Should I replace all the old wire with new 12/2 romex or should I just try to run a separate grounding wire back to the panel? Can I do this myself? I was going to try to do the basement exposed wires first. If that is not too hard then maybe I will look into doing the rest of the house.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Running new cable as you describe is the best method to upgrading to grounded outlets.

Whether you can do this or not is up to you and your skills and knowledge working with wire, connectors, staples, and most important, insuring every wire connection be perfect.

Any new work usually needs a permit, esp. by homeowners. Best to check with your local building or code enforcement office for permitting, and any local codes.

Look for the how to wire books for materials, methods, techniques, etc.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Nov 12, 2008, 06:41 PM
    [QUOTE=tkrussell;1371447]

Whether you can do this or not is up to you and your skills and knowledge working with wire, connectors, staples, and most important, insuring every wire connection be perfect.

You say that every wire connection be perfect can you clarify exactly what you mean. I am assuming you mean more than simply hooking up the right wires to each other and the right connectors etc.

I would say that my skill level is pretty low, as I have not done anything like this before (new homeowner). The knowledge I am working on and I am confident that I can learn wiring. Would you say it take a lot of skill to splice wires connect them etc with the right tools/knowledge? Would the average homeowner be able to do these kinds of repairs with plenty of time a few good books and the persistence to do the job right?

Thank you,
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 03:44 AM
    What I mean by each connection, along with making sure each wire connects where it belongs, that each splice and screw connection be made properly and tight. This will need technique and mechanical aptitude.

The How To books should show how to make the various connections.

Loose wire connections are the major cause of flickering lights, intermittent power, burned out appliances and light bulbs, and fire.

Just wrapping a wire around a screw terminal is often done wrong by DIY'ers, remember to wrap the wire clockwise around the screw, so it closes as the screws is tightened.

It takes electricians 4-5 years of apprenticeship to learn the trade, of course, to learn all the codes, materials to work with, circuitry, safety, etc.

Different types cables need to be supported certain distances. Connectors need to be snug just right, boxes need to be mounted in certain fashion, so on and so on. Everything must be done "in a workmanship like manner".

You can review the National Electric Code found in a sticky note at the beginning of this forum for these various codes.

Look through the code and how to books to see what your up against.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing an ungrounded outlet with a grounded one [ 11 Answers ]

I would like to replace my 2-prong (ungrounded) outlets with 3-prong (grounded) ones. I didn't see a ground wire when I removed the outlet. How can I replace an ungrounded outlet with a grounded one? Also, how can I find out if my outlet box is grounded?

Installing built-in Microwave over built-in walloven [ 5 Answers ]

We purchased a Jenn Air built-in microwave and want to install it right above the built-in Jenn Air wall oven (so it looks like one unit, or close to that) How much space is recommended between the 2 pcs? The installation instructions are pathetic and do not say. We tired calling them and of...

Home built by husband on family land [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is being sued for marital infidelity. Of which there is no photo proof. The land the home was built on was purchased from his father from a larger block of "family" land. He then spent an entire year building it. He put in half of the money(gained before the marriage), but his wife...

Two wire ungrounded systen in older homes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , wife and I live in her mothers house now, it is a two wire ungrounded system throughout. She had someone come in and wire it with grounds, not everything had grounds but half of it did after he was done rewiring it, but the city inspector came through to look at it and said it was a fire...

Electrical Rewire a Entire Home built in 1944- 1951 ? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a inspector inspect my home to sell. He identified two prong outlets in kitchen needed to be replaced with gfi outlets. Ok done ! But also mention that several other plugs and 100 amp panel was ungrounded and not safe. Had electrian come out, he reccomened to rewire the entire home for $...

View more questions Search