Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Nov 12, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Real Estate agent is lying to prospective buyers! Am I liable?
    I got into an agreement with a real estate agent to show my country property. In hind sight I shouldn't have agreed to a 3 month contract! Now my financial circumstances are such that I don't need to sell (fully retired). But I have found out/overheard her telling a lot of crap to prospective buyers, even though I have told her the "right " answers. I know she can't have every property memorized and could make mistakes of course but she is telling outright lies. If someone gets into a contract believing those, and I didn't know, am I somehow on the hook?
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 12, 2008, 09:56 AM

You can be 'on the hook' in that a contract may fall through. What state are you in? First, contact the "broker of record". This is like the realtors boss. If you are unhappy with her, ask the broker to reassign another agent. I too would be nervous.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Nov 15, 2008, 10:27 AM

Well I'm talking about California, and I did get the agent's boss's name and number (from her.) I'm a little worried that if I report her to her boss, she will do even less than she has already to sell it?
    She is lying to people about the zoning and what can be built there, she has printed up brochures with total lies in them and has them for display out front by the gate. I just took all the brochures out and threw them away without telling her. She also has not advertised my property other than a sign in the yard. When I asked her about it she said they don't advertise "that kind of property." Well how will anyone know it's for sale if she doesn't? I'm really really dissatisfied but like I said will probably just run out the clock and then get a different company.
    mike_edwards Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 11:49 AM

First if you listed it, it is listed with the broker, not the agent, the agent works for the broker and the broker is also liable for lies told by the agent. So the broker needs to know and perhaps even report the agent to the state license board.

A home listed can be shown by other agents from other companies assuming you used a multi listing agency.

Better to not show it than have it shown under fraud issues

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Becoming a Real Estate Agent [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know what steps I need to take in order to become a real estate agent in California. I am about to graduate high school in 08 and I want to become a real estate agent. I really want to become a mortgage broker and someone told me I had to be a agent first, is that true? If so what...

Real Estate Agent [ 4 Answers ]

I am a real estate agent in MA. Is there a list already prepared that provides you with a list of the different things you can write of as an agent. I also have another full time job that is salary based but my Real Estate office is going to 1099 me. Any information would be helpful. Also if...

How to become a real estate agent? [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to graduate high school to become a real estate agent? Or can you become one with a G.E.D.?

Real Estate Agent [ 1 Answers ]

In about a month I am moving from Florida to California. After I get there, I would like to get a license to sell real estate. Can anyone recommend a good online school I can use? What is the percentage rate of people passing the test? And can someone give me an example of what kind of...

How to become a real estate agent? [ 2 Answers ]

How does someone become a real estate agent? Does it take long and what do you do after you have the credentials? How do you get started? Any advice would be great. I am trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.:cool:

View more questions Search