Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcplusdc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Why is it considered unethical by some to have relations with former clients?
    To whomever can help me, why do the ethical committee's put so much emphasis on not having relations with former clients you have given treatment to in therapy when a lot of clients have been abandoned once and then because of the ethical committee's decisions are forced to endure that sort of pain all over again thus triggering feelings from their past that they at one time may have resolved? That to me seems quite unethical and not to mention the fact that their theories violate not only the pursuit of liberty or freedom if you will of the client but also that of the therapist as well.
    08_777444 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Nov 16, 2008, 10:48 PM
    We have the power over liberty and freedom in our personal lives.

But when one becomes a doctor, therapist, physician, etc. they give up their pursuit to liberty and freedom with their clients when they become a physician. They take an oath to harm none. It is a pre-requisite of the job, but they know that before they ever get involved.

Once someone has power over another individual, either as their doctor, therapist, etc. any kind of involvement after that should be construed as unethical; an abuse of trust.

They, having such personal knowledge of the previous client, down to their weaknesses and utmost secrets, could put the client in harms way, as the clients are usually vulnerable and weak. In all fairness and respect, the counselor's intentions could be skewed, they could use what they know to prey on their clients, both financially or emotionally.

They have to know that with such behavior comes a stigma.

They wouldn't be the first person to question these ethics, but know that they are put into effect to protect the individuals involved, the doctor included. All circumstances are not the same, I'm sure patients fall in love with their physicians all the time, sometimes fanatically.

However, imagine how they would explain to their friends and colleagues how they met. Awkward moment I would assume. Especially if their colleagues were forced to take the same oath that the other colleague so blindly ignores.

That is why in the military it is not advisable to get involved with someone superior in rank. Even if they retire, it leaves everyone in a awkward position.

These are just my personal opinions.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 11:05 PM

Hi, jcplusdc!

The above answer by 08_777444 is excellent!

I just wanted to add that, most likely, one of the reasons that those types of rules are in place by ethics committees in the first place, is so that clients won't have to go through that sort of pain again.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unethical dhs case [ 5 Answers ]

:mad: My case began when my exwife went down to the Oklahoma DHS and filed against me for non support of my daughter. I then ask for a court date in writing. Before I got a court hearing the OKDHS seized my income tax return. My new wife filed an injured spouse form and got 1/2 back. I had my...

Illegal or just unethical [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Lacey, Wa. I am on Sec. 8. The mobile home I was scheduled: to get inspected and move into today was sold by the owner this weekend. I have a intent to lease from him by his setting up an inspection by the housing auth. And him telling me I could move in today. I had all the utilities...

Unethical lawyer [ 1 Answers ]

excon, I settled the case may 18th. And my lawyer has been my only contact, as the company is in Florida. He said 2nd week of June then third then end of month or shortly thereafter, then he hasn't heard anything as of 07/06/2007. He just doesn't sound right on the phone gut feeling. That's why...

Unethical? [ 3 Answers ]

Is this ethical? It seems to me that if something is illegal, and it would violate Forum Rules to post links in reference to it, then ANY help in finding such tools would be unethical. Anyone else? Scott<>

View more questions Search