Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 02:07 PM
    NTFS vs Fat32
    Just bought the 100GB version of this external hard drive:
    http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/portable

It's formatted Fat32. I'm not finding differences that mean anything to me here, or at other comparison websites.

Is there a benefit to my reformatting it as NTFS?

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 19, 2006, 02:15 PM
    The biggest advantage to using NTFS is security !
    FAT only really has security as an after thought.
    The other advantages are in;
    • Volume size, max 32 Gb for FAT 2Tb for NTFS
    • Performance
    • Fault tolerance
    • Economy
    • Max file size 4Gb Max on FAT

So don't delay upgrade today!!

Also you don't need to reformat, unless you really want to.
    You can use the convert command via a cmd prompt
    Full explaination here.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 19, 2006, 02:17 PM
    On that very link, you'll see that NTFS performs better on larger volumes, while FAT32 performs better on smaller volumes.

Also, and you may not care about these, but with NTFS comes file level security and the ability to compress files to save space (although at a cost to performance).
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Thanks, Guys - that was quick and easy!
    Attached Images

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2006, 06:56 AM
    the reason it may have been formatted as FAT is because, as an external, it can be moved and connected to other PCs. By using FAT, there would be no problem connecting it to a Win 9x PC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fat32 to ntfs? [ 3 Answers ]

I installed windows XP and I have Norton 2004. When I try to use the Norton Disk Doctor, it won't allow me to. I think I have a FAT32 and not NTFS. I cannot even use scandisk. If I convert fat32 to NTFS will I be able to run these programs that I am trying to run? My second question is how to...

NTFS better then FAT32? [ 1 Answers ]

Will there be some programs or hardware that I can't use if I convert my system from a FAT32 to NTFS? I currently am running windows xp professional. I had windows 98SE and then I f-disked and formated and did a full install of XP.

Why is NTFS better then FAT32? [ 2 Answers ]

Will there be some programs or hardware that I can't use if I convert my system from a FAT32 to NTFS? I currently am running windows xp professional. I had windows 98SE and then I f-disked and formated and did a full install of XP.

Converting from fat32 to NTFS? [ 2 Answers ]

I installed windows XP and I have Norton 2004. When I try to use the Norton Disk Doctor, it won't allow me to. I think I have a FAT32 and not NTFS. I cannot even use scandisk. If I convert fat32 to NTFS will I be able to run these programs that I am trying to run? My second question is how to...

NTFS better then FAT32? [ 2 Answers ]

View more questions Search