Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 09:32 PM
    Gun law: if my father uses my weapon.
    I've been looking around different websites and asking others about this and have gotten various answers.

I currently own two weapons. One, I keep in my apartment, the other, I keep at my restaurant. Both are relatively secure (the one in my apartment is in a bookbag as I live alone; the one in the restaurant is kept well hidden with the magazine separately well hidden).

My question is, at times, when I visit my parents, I often take my bookbag with me along with other essentials (clothes, toiletries, etc) and I sometimes leave my bookbag there, simply out of habit. If there is some sort of incident at my parents' house that involved my father shooting someone (strictly for defense), could this be held as a crime?
    kraussnumber2 Posts: 105, Reputation: 10

Nov 11, 2008, 09:50 PM

I think he would be all right... as long as the gun is registered. It is not a concealed weapon as it is in his house so that law doesn't apply. I am pretty sure he would not get charged with anything, nor you, as long as it was proved as defense. Although you might want to check with your local police department or concealed weapons instructor as it would be better to make sure then be sorry later. Although I know my husband would rather go to jail for having shot someone ( in defense) then have his family hurt or raped or something...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 06:11 AM

The gun is not his. Is he willing to face the consequences if he does shoot someone? He needs to get his own gun for his own self protection. Best to buy it now before Barky gets sworn in in January or he won't be able to.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2008, 07:09 AM
    First of all, not all states register guns, so you will need to check with your state as to registration. Here in Tennessee I can purchase a gun and give it to anyone I choose (with the exception of felons), and it is no longer my gun but theirs. There is no legal process we have to go through here to give a firearm as a present or to sell one from one owner to another.

Second of all, if anyone comes in my house and I shoot them in self defense (I have over 20 firearms in my home), I can still get in trouble unless and until I can prove that I was in fear of my life.

I'm not sure about the laws in Ga, Atlanta particularly, but if you go to the store where you bought your guns, the guy there can most likely give you all the specifics for your area.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 03:41 PM

Laruen - Just WHY then are all the people flooding into gun shops buying guns lately? For their health? Nope. They are afraid once Barky gets into office he'll pass some sort of anti own guns law. Don't you read anything relevant? Apparently not. If necessary I can post a few dozen articles stating what I said. Your quote was pathetic politicalspeak.

J-9's family owns a gun shop. Ask her if my statement is true or not.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Twinkie's statement was absolutely on the MARK! Bullseye for you Twinkie!

Right now there is more demand for firearms than there is product. We are almost completely sold out of guns as well as safes. Where we usually do about $5,000 per day in sales this time of year, we are peaking at over $20,000 per day.

People are afraid that their right to bear arms will be taken away. Biden is the leader, it was he who put the ban on all semiauto or automatic guns. He called them assault rifles.

Our concealed carry classes are now overbooked and we are having 5 per week versus our usual 2. We are only open 5 days a week.

lauren6318 disagrees: your an idiot if you really think that. Obama, and I quote him from apirl 16 in philly, "I think we can provide common-sense approaches to the issue of illegal guns that are ending up on the streets. We can make sure that criminals don't have guns...
    How can we make sure criminals don't have guns? They already don't go through the proper channels to get them, so why should be punish the law abiding citizens who do?

You can quote Obama all you like but it is Biden who originated gun bans in this country and you see where that got us don't you? We are worse off now than before Biden's bans.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 04:37 PM

Possible Gun Ban/Increase Tax Creates Panic

Here is ONE story about this particular topic. I suspect that Lauren is someone who has come back under a different name. The posts sound like that other person.

It sound more like "Let's disarm the American people and make the US look like Australia or Canada". Both of these countries are GUNLESS. But that does not mean that the criminals in those countries do not have guns. Of course they have guns! Grow up. You can't make me believe anything about our next supposed president and what he said during his campaign baloney speaches. Wait and see. I'm right and I know it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ex charged with assault with a dangerous weapon [ 34 Answers ]

A yr ago at c'mas, my ex broke into my house, assaulted me and broke my ribs, cheekbone, and re-injured a pre-existing hip condition. The police arrested him the next day at his home, but just had him write a statement and let him go. They gave him a no-contact order (although I requested a...

Is gas a weapon of mass destruction? [ 9 Answers ]

Was Bush was as deceived as Iran. Saddam’s prewar ‘weapons of mass destruction’ deceptions were a ruse to convince Iran - whom he feared - that he had an arsenal. If so can Bush be rightly said to have been wrong? Until 9/11, Saddam thought UN sanctions would go away and he could make a...

Assult with a deadly weapon [ 2 Answers ]

Can an investigator for the defendants attorney call the plaintiff and ask questions before it goes to court?

Felony class d unlawful use of weapon [ 1 Answers ]

What grounds do they have to enforce this? Never pulled a knife but did do hairpulling etc for the 3rd degree assault. Statement written says pulled knife but neither witness willing to testify for prosecution. What do they have if know one else saw this. Statements says don't know if would be...

Credit Reporting Used as a weapon [ 4 Answers ]

What are the options for getting a company to correct their erroneous credit reporting? This has to do with Geico the Insurance company. They terminated my policy, sent me a refund. Now they are claiming we re-signed and that we owe and are reporting the lack of payment. We never restated our...

View more questions Search