Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 22, 2006, 04:29 AM
    NIS could very well be the problem here.
    If it is set to scan files on read/write it will slow things down a great deal.
    As NK has mentioned you'd be better off using separate firewall/AV apps, as if there's a problem it will be a lot easier to troubleshoot.
    From personal experience I find that Norton products and XP aren't happy bed fellows at all.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 04:41 AM
    I'm jealous! After all this stuff I've tried - and still going so slow, I'm ready to go get a new HD and reformat. Haven't done a format in about 2 years on this one.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 04:41 AM
    Thank you, everyone for your help!
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 04:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    NIS could very well be the problem here.
    If it is set to scan files on read/write it will slow things down a great deal.
    As NK has mentioned you'd be better off useing seperate firewall/AV apps, as if there's a problem it will be alot easier to troubleshoot.
    From personal experience I find that Norton products and XP aren't happy bed fellows at all.
    I didn't see this one, Curly, as it was #1 on page two...

My testing with NIS disabled were no better. Coincidentally, my subscription is up next week - so looking for input/opinions:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/comput...pps-28141.html
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jun 22, 2006, 05:15 AM
    For commercial use, AVG professional is very good, the prices are keen and you get 2 years subscription

By the way , the times I quoted for my data transfer were only on a bog standard maxtor 40gig hard drive, athlon xp 2000 with 768Mb like yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Maxtor External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, One of my clients has an external hard drive with all of their Quicktime video files loaded onto it. These video files were captured in an iMac (one of the newer all-in-one units). We wanted to see if the external hard drive (Firewire connection) could be hooked up to the PC...

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

Won't recognise external hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

My computer won't recognise an external hard drive. I plugged it into the usb port (I have no firewire port) and then turned on the power supply and as far as my computer is concerned the drive isn't even there Help?! Thanks

External hard drive partition inaccessible [ 2 Answers ]

2 partitions on my external 120gb HD have become inaccessible. Their names now appear to be "Local Disk", and if you try to access them you get an error message. http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/11865/0/s.JPG The drives F and H in the picture above are the ones having the problem....

View more questions Search