Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ravi.tyagi Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2006, 08:47 AM
    TV Tuner Card Vs Video Capture
    Hi,

I would like to know whether we can capture video from Camcorder to PC through TV Tuner card? And as far as the video quality is concerned which one is comparatively better, TV Tuner Card or Video Capture Card. I have heard about Firewire card also. Is the Firewire card and Video capture card same? In the nutshell which one is better and cheap to capture video.

Thanks

Ravi
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Firewire is an interface like USB. To capture video via firewire, your camcorder would need to support it.

There are video capture devices under $100 (Like the Dazzle 80). These generally connect via USB. Most are composite video. You might be able to use a TV tuner card if it has the right inputs.

The video capture is probably going to have more and better features.

Jun 20, 2006, 05:10 AM
    Hi, Scott,

Thanks for your reply, I got my query solved in a nice way. Thanks again.

Ravi

Jun 20, 2006, 05:13 AM
    Hi,

Have you ever experienced TV tuner card? How is the video quality captured by TV tuner card? Can we use this as it comes cheaper than the Video capture card? Please suggest and reply.

Thanks,
    Ravi
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2006, 06:14 AM
    I've used both. I have a tuner card in my PC now. But I use it for capturing my cable TV signal. I have an USB video capture device to capture from my camcoder. The quality seems about equal.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jun 20, 2006, 11:05 AM
    I use a ASUS FM/TV capture card to capture video from my camcorder,TV and any other source I want to connect to...

Qualitywise.. what I see is what I get..
    If bad video going in is what I see I will have bad video coming out when I edit.. I can clean some stuff out with filters but the better the source the better the output

... I personally can't see going back to a video capture card that had only USB ports when the quality was the same... the TV tuner opened up more possibilities for me with all the extra input jacks..
    I can make my own TiVo... I can watch the game while surfing.. play ps2 or any other video game while doing work.. lol

I would feel confident in saying a video capture card can do 1 thing well while a TV tuner(a good quality 1) can do the same and more... just comes down to what your needs are...

Jun 21, 2006, 06:57 AM
    Hi,

Thanks Scott, for the satisfactory reply. Now my issue is solved.

Thanks to Tommyp!972 also who gave me more details regarding the same.

Regards,
    Ravi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help om finding a good video capture card [ 1 Answers ]

I need a video capture card (it has to be USB 2.0) I need 2 things from it Stream live audio and video through it in hq (RCA) Be able to record audio and video to the hard drive I have heard too many bad things about them to know which one to buy, so please help me find a good one :) Thanks

How to capture video streaming ? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, There is a short video clip that can only viewed online(doesn't work with right click "save as"), however, I wish to capture the video clip down. When I clicked the file, it prompted realone player... I have tried some shareware video capture program but it just show blank... any help ?...

Mac Mini Video Capture? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, All hard drives in the mini are rated at 5400 rpm. This being the case, what is the suitability of this unit to capture video? I know I'd have to get an external converter and firewire it to the Mini. Also is firewire 400 OK to use in this way? Thanks.

View more questions Search