Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Nov 18, 2008, 08:11 PM

Could have a Hall Effect Sensor?
    novice68 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 02:49 PM

I took one of my office mate's help to post the pictures. Let us see if this link would work.

Let me know if it does not.

Thanks,

Nov 19, 2008, 02:51 PM

Try by putting this link in your browser if the above does not work.

Picasa Web Albums - Ahsan - Heater

Thanks,
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 06:19 PM
    That is a Honeywell gas valve I believe. There should be 24 volts going to that valve when the unit is calling for heat. Remove the wires and attach your test meter to read the voltage.

Nov 19, 2008, 09:37 PM

Yes, I do get the 24 v in blue wire when I disconnect it from the terminal and connect one end of volt meter to the wire and the other to the terminal. But as soon as I connect it back to the terminal it disappears. May be it is suppose to disappear or it could be the cause of problem.

"I am getting 24 volts going in gas value as soon as I start the heater - I checked this by disconnecting the blue wire and connecting one end of volt meter to the blue wire and the other to the gas valve where the blue wire is suppose to be connected into gas valve. However when I connect blue wire back to the gas valve and then connect one end to volt meter and the other end to green wire, I do not get any reading."

Nov 19, 2008, 09:41 PM
    If you are getting 24 volts across the gas valve wires and the valve is not opening then I would have to say the valve is defective.

Nov 19, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    Could have a Hall Effect Sensor?

YEP carrier and Bryant use them
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 05:27 PM

Need to test across both terminal while supply wires are still connected. If you get 24v now, then your valve is bad. I believe you are testing the connections incorrectly.

Pulling the blue wire and testing between that and the spade that it connects to may give you a false 24v reading. When you put it back on, the 24v disappears. Need to test between the two wires( either while they are both connected to valve, or when they are both disconnected from the valve.)
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Carreir uses the hall effect sensor on the packaged units but not with the split systems. Flame failure= no gas or no gas ignition on the flame sensor. In your case I would say you have a bad valve or very dirty burners and or burner orifice.

Nov 20, 2008, 09:35 PM
    But do you know the reason Carrier/Bryant does not use the hall sensor on there other equipment. It has nothing to do with cost BTW.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 04:44 PM

Is this a quiz, cause if it is, I'm feeling a little weezy, think ill stay home today.

Is it just me or does it sound like novice is testing the valve incorrectly. Can someone here post some type of picture showing where he should have his tester leads.

Nov 21, 2008, 05:02 PM

I am sure I was testing it incorrectly as I do not know what I am doing :confused: However I plan to go and test using the two wires on the heater with two wires on the volt meter. I am sure I tested that but since I was not getting any reading I thought I was doing something wrong and then tested with just one wire. :( I guess I was wrong the second time.
    I gather that if I do not get any reading when testing by connecting two volt meter wires to two wires on the heater, then the gas valve has gone bad. Am I on the right track here?
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 05:29 PM

No, if you put two meter wires to two gas valve wires and don't read 24v, then the problem is not the gas valve. If you get 24v reading, then the gas valve is bad.

Nov 24, 2008, 08:36 PM

I tested and retested multiple times and I am not getting any reading when I attach two meter wires to two gas valve wires. I had set the meter to DCV 50 and then DCV 10 but still no reading.
    One thing that is puzzling me is that when I do same test on the heater (I have two similar heater as mentioned earlier) that is working I am not getting any reading either. Am I testing correctly? If I'm should I not be getting some reading for that heater that is working?

Nov 24, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Try using AC and not DC!!

Nov 25, 2008, 07:53 PM

I used AC this time and it confirmed that I am NOT getting any voltage on connections at the gas valve. I did check the other heater and I do get the voltage on the other.
    What does this mean and what should be the next step?

Thanks

Nov 25, 2008, 08:00 PM

Your pressure switch could be stuck closed. If this is the case then on a call for heat the unit will sense this and will not lite. It is a safety feature built in. Try this. Turn the unit off and pull one wire from the pressure switch. Turn the power on and after the inducer starts up then carefully attach the wire you pulled. See if your unit fires. If so then you have a failed pressure switch.

Nov 25, 2008, 08:15 PM

If there is no voltage at the gas valve (I guess this is the pressure switch) would pulling wire and putting it back make any difference?

Nov 25, 2008, 08:19 PM

Yes. If the units senes that the pressure switch is closed at the initial call for heat then it will not open the gas valve. Again, it is a safety feature.

Nov 25, 2008, 09:00 PM
    No. Nothing happened. I pulled the wire and then started the heater, When the inducer started, I put the wire back in its place but the gas did not come and hence no fire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Model 58ZAV [ 4 Answers ]

How can I get the LED codes for the Carrier 58ZAV? I don't have the manual. The unit won't run and is flashing a 2-4 code.

Carrier weather maker 8000 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and would like your help. I have a Carrier Weather Maker 8000 and I am having problems with it. Its keeps shutting off before it reaches the desired temperature . I made a couple of clips that I hoped would explain the problem better. The Start:...

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Gas/2HR before Fun. Turns on set at 75 [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! Turned on furnace this year every thing was fine. Then I noticed that the temp in the house was 68 & the desired temp was set at 72. Then I set it up on 75 still did not turn on. About 2hr later the furnace turned on & shut off at 75. Every thing seemed fine. It turned on and off like was...

Carrier weather maker 8000 [ 5 Answers ]

Model # 58TUA06008 has had the main board replaced but it keeps shuting off and then will restart after four hours or if I shut the power off and turn it back on. Is this an issue with the heat sensors or something else. I known the main board has been recalled is there any other issues. Thanks G

Carrier weather maker 8000 [ 1 Answers ]

What's the cost of a Carrier weather maker 8000 ignitor and how can I purchase it? Thank You

View more questions Search