Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ritamarie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Finding ownership of my propane tank
    My husband and I recently moved into a house that had been vacant for 2 years. The relocation company continued using the same services that were in place. This is a big, beautiful, well built home. At the time of purchase, there was a question as to who owns the propane tank that supplies the propane to heat our home. I called the company in use, and they were not able to tell me weather THEY owned it... or weather the builder(previous owner) was the owner of the tank. I recently just had my tank filled and was charged over 40 cents a gallon more than the other local companies. I would like to switch companies, however, I can not get an answer as to who owns the tank... me or them. How can I find this out? Can I demand them to provide me with some type of proof of ownership if they own it? I am starting to believe that WE own it, and they are being elusive about that question to force us to continue to use their way over priced service.
    Bottom line, can I force this information out of the Propane Company? If they can't show me proper records, can I just assume that I own it? Where do I stand on this?
    This is a custom built home with lots of upgraded features. It would not surprise me if the previous owner had it put in to be in control of his service providers.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 09:22 PM

Is there no way to go back and contact the previous owner / builder and ask them.

What happens if you just call the current provider and say, "I want to cancel service with you effective immediately"? (Do they just come by periodically and fill it as necessary, or do you call them out?) Then just call a new company and "start service" and see what happens. If it's the current company's tank I'd think they'll let you know when you stop service.
    racerecchs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 03:33 PM

Rita, Hope you've gotten some answers on this. We've been through a similar situation where the propane company claimed they owned the tank. With some research I was able to disprove their claim. I would like to know if we had the same company.
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who owns this propane tank? [ 8 Answers ]

I purchased this house from my ex husband whom originally bought the house before we were married. He never signed any type of lease agreement nor was it stated in the homeowners that the tank was leased. The house was purchased new so my ex dealt with the builder exclusively who used the home as...

Propane Tank Ownership Issue [ 5 Answers ]

We purchased a used home one year ago. On the premises is a buried 500 gal propane tank which was the fuel source for an inground pool heater (not used for anything else). The tank existence was disclosed to us. But there was no indication that the tank was not owned by the seller. (I am told...

Ownership of Propane Tank [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a house 3 years ago. We were told the propane tank which is used for heat, hot water and cooking, belongs to us as the original owner purchased it. We were having a company who had been filling it for the previous owner do so for us. Then we found another company filling it one day....

Ownership of Propane [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a home on the 12th(all papers signed sealed, etc). The home is heated by electric and wood. A propane tank is used for the stove and water heater. The purchase agreement did not specify any particulars, yet on the 26th, the prior owner contacted the propane tank...

TW and WC on a propane tank [ 1 Answers ]

What do those stand for? I was looking on some of the common sized ones, and the TW was about 18 - 17.5, 18.9, etc. The WC was closer to 48. Most of the places exchanging tanks here only put in 17-18 pounds which is much less than the tank would hold if the WC is the weight charged, or weight...

View more questions Search