Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khb5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 06:10 PM
    What do do with 401k loan that H took
    We're doing 50/50 split on both his ira and 401k . Because splitting out my portion of 401k is so involved, I'm get that amount out of ira to + my 50% of the ira...
    Here's the question... he's taken a loan out of the 401k and that loan shows up in the balance... I'll still 50% of the total and his 50% will include his loan... is that correct ?
    My first question on this board... not a very exciting one, is it... will try to bring a little excitement next time... just need to get over a few hurdles
    Thanks
    K
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 06:29 PM

If the debt on the 401(k) is community a debt (called a "marital" debt in some places) then you both owe it together (in California a community debt would be one incurred between the date of marriage and the date of separation). In equally dividing the IRA and 401(k) accounts you would thus each share equally in the debt on the 401(k). If for simplicity and to avoid having to prepare a QDRO to divide the 401(k) you are taking your share of the 401(k) by simply adding the value of that share to your share of the IRA (which makes total sense), you would still be responsible for half the debt on the 401(k). So, agree that he be solely responsible for the debt on the 401(k), deduct half of that debt from your one-half share of the balance now in the 401(k) and add that to your share of the IRA. That sum should be rolled over into an IRA in your name. You don't need a QDRO to divide an IRA so that would save you some money. All you need to do is agree on the numbers and contact the IRA plan administrator to see what documents they need to do the rollover. In the disso assign the debt on the 401(k) to him and spell out the method of division and that should take care of it.
    khb5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 06:36 PM

Thanks Cad... the debt was incurred after separation . But I appreciate you explaining the process.. u make it sound rather simple... could it possibly be ?
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by khb5 View Post
    Thanks Cad ... the debt was incurred after separation . But I appreciate you explaining the process..u make it sound rather simple ...could it possibly be ?
    Well, it's not much more complicated than that. If the debt is post-separation then in California that would be his separate debt and there wouldn't be the offsetting that I mentioned. You would be entitled to half the balance before the loan was taken out and you could have that sum added to your one-half share of the IRA and roll over the total to your own IRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

401k loan [ 1 Answers ]

I have credit card debt and 2 loans I wanted to pay the credit card debt down and one of the two loans off the one loan has a $5,000 balance and I want to borrow $9,000.00 against my 401k. I have a plan once I do this to pay the 401k loan off in half the time. I though this would save me a lot of...

Loan against 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I found a property that I want to invest in, it's a foreclosure, I want to fix it up and maybe retire too it, I have a home with a small mortgage, and I have some savings for vacations and emergency's, I think the home I'm looking at might have to be paid in cash, $20,000. I have Est:...

401k loan [ 2 Answers ]

My husband took a LOAN for $3000 from his 401k in August. He has and will continue to have approx. $15 a week taken from his paycheck over a 5 year period. There is an interest rate of 9.2 percent. He has not received a 1099-R. Should he have? How do I handle filing 2006 taxes? Thank You

View more questions Search