Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lkdk1990 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Congress allowing 401k withdraws
    Do you know if Congress is seriosly considering allowing people to withdraw up to 15k from their 401k's without paying penalties. If so, would you suggest doing so and putting the money towards a 6.9 percent home mortgage? Thanks.dk
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2008, 05:54 PM

I doubt if this will be done and its probably not a good idea
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 12, 2008, 09:02 AM

I've heard nothing this specific. McCain suggested loosening rules that require people 70-1/2 years old to make mandatory withdrawals. See:

McCain Seeks Reform of 401(k) Rules | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Also there have been some rumblings about congress looking into other changes, but again - nothing specific. See:

Washington Wire - WSJ.com : Amid Deep Losses, Congress Examines 401(k)s

As part of the mortgage bailout packages being discussed I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the rules to allow penalty-free withdrawals to avoid home foreclosure, but that's just speculation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married son is not allowing me to see my grandchildren [ 7 Answers ]

How do I deal with an adult son who was so close to me growning up but now has chosen to exclude me, his sister and father from his life and chosen his in-laws to take our place. Before this year, I had a good relationship with he and his wife and was able to see my 2 grandchildren (4 and 2)...

IRA or 401K withdraws at 65 [ 1 Answers ]

I turned 65 in August. I am still and will continue to work. I hope till I am at least 70. Now that I am 65 I would like to make a 6,000 deduction from one of my accounts. Is it better to make the withdraw from the 401K or my Ira accounts?

Is ALLOWING too much contact just as bad? [ 6 Answers ]

One of the girls I've been casually dating has sort of started to grow on me. She's really sweet and down-to-earth, not materialistic at all, pays for her own share and is very outgoing and fun to be with. She's got all those qualities I look for in a girl and I definitely think she could become...

How to break the cycle of allowing others to use you [ 9 Answers ]

I am apparently, one of those people whom allow themselves to be taken for granted. I recently decided at the age of 48, to make some changes is that area of my life. I was being used by my daughter-in-law for babysitting. I did it often and I mean often, and was still never enough. She since...

View more questions Search