Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calamityjane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Electrical panel rating
    I have a (residential) panel with 200 Amp wiring to the panel, on a 200 Amp circuit breaker. However, the paper sticker on the Bryant panel says that the panel is rated for 150 amps. The 200 amp service and the breakers all look original to the panel, has the UL rating stamp, etc. Is this okay, or is there something wrong with this picture? The electrical contractor who looked at it says it's fine, but the home inspector is not sure. Is there a safety issue, and should the main breaker and wiring be downgraded?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 04:50 PM
    A service is only as big as it's smallest part. In your case this is the 150A main breaker.

Why it is a 150 when everything else is 200 is beyond me. I'd trust your electrician LONG before I'd trust a H-I. Most H-I's are notoriously undereducated and inexperienced in the electrical field.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 05:34 PM

Jane,

You have a main panel being fed 200 Amp? On the main panel is there a 200 Amp main breaker or a 150 Amp main breaker?

Does the label give you a make or model number of the panel box?
    calamityjane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Wire is 4/0, and breaker is labelled 200 Amp. The panel is a Bryant, but I also saw Westinghouse on it. There is a manufacturer's paper label glued to the inside of the panel cover, on which, among other standard information, is printed "150 Amp panel". House was built in 1986.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Sorry, I read it wrong. The panel @ 150A is your lowest rated part.

Like I said, I would trust the electrician first, but he may be wrong in this case. I can't see how a 200A breaker would fit in a 150A main breaker panel.

Are you sure it did not say "maximum 150A breaker"? That would make sense.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Nov 11, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Jane,

Is there any other breakers upstream of this panel ? Like out at the meter. Your situation

Is likely safe but it is in violation of the Electrical Code.
    Assured Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 03:39 PM

calamityjane,
    Is there a catalog number on the label? That tells some of the story and if you or someone has enough knowledge and can safely remove the cover, there is another label inside that tells the rest of the story.
    If you have insufficient knowledge, do not remove the cover.
    Will await for further info.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 09:34 AM

Frank,

Just curious, where exactly would you expect another "Service Disconnect" breaker to be in a residence?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical panel 400 amp [ 2 Answers ]

Oh I am shopping in Miami, Florida or Fort Lauderdale Florida

Electrical voltage rating in north america [ 2 Answers ]

Any one knows about the nominal voltage and frequency rating in north america!!

Entrance Panel Amperage Rating [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought an older condo. The service panel in the unit does not contain the main breaker. It is located in a meter room outside. The main breaker there appears to be 125 amps (I'm assuming 220). I would like to install a combo gas/electric oven stove. There is no 220 big amperage service...

Panel rating - Raintite Class CTL #AL-36422 [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get the rating on an older Raintite Panel. Right now there is a 70-Amp main breaker and I want to upgrade this to 100-amp. The inspector wants something that shows this panel is rated for 100-amp service. Tried a search on the Internet and didn't come up with this panel anywhere. ...

Electrical outlet rating vs. Circuit breaker amperage rating [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all, I am new to this forum, please excuse me if this question has been answered. I just bought a Thermal Dynamics Plasma cutter. It has a Nema 50-P plug end on it, which I assume is to be plugged into a Nema 50-R outlet. In looking in my reference book, this is a 3 wire...

View more questions Search