Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1940susan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2003, 09:48 AM
    Walnut trees
    We have eight walnut trees in our yard and is there a way that we are able to control the propagation of nuts on the trees and is the wood from the trees worth any thing?
    wannabeDIYer Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Black Walnut are worth something; especially if they are a certain diameter and if it would be worth it for someone to harvest them. It may not be worth it for just eight trees unless they are quite large and not a big problem to harvest them.

There is a product that can be sprayed onto the flower catkins and when the newly emerging leaves are present. It must be sprayed when the male flowers are present so that you reduce pollination. This can help slow down the production of walnuts but could be quite an expense though.

Hope this helps.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Yes, walnut wood is worth something, call a logging company and see about the price of walnut in your area.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 08:36 PM
    If they are large enough walnut can be valuable, however most comerical sawmills will refuse yard trees because of the posibility of nails which wreck saw blades. You will do best if you can find an independent with a portable sawmill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peach Trees [ 1 Answers ]

I live in western Colorado and have a small 40 tree orchard. I have two standard Elberta peach trees that are 16 years old and I am going to pull. I want to replace them with a peach tree that ripens about the same time or a little later, but has good color. The Elberta ripens here about the...

Transplanting trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Norway (Ithink) maple that is about four years old and about 15-20 ft. tall. I would like to move it about 50 feet. Can I? How

Trees in lawn [ 2 Answers ]

"In my area of michigan spring time bring about an avalanche of those twirling tree seeds that fall everywhere. I just put in a new lawn from seed and the tree seeds fell in the yard as well. Naturally I could not rake them out without disturbing the new seed. Now I have tiny tree saplings growing...

Dogwood Trees [ 2 Answers ]

I had some Pink Dogwood trees. They are now White.What do I need to do to bring back my pink ? Thank You Ramblinrose Texas :eek:

40 year old walnut tree [ 1 Answers ]

This question is on behalf of my father. He planted a Walnut tree about 40 years ago and to this day it still produces healthy walnuts. I don't know why, but he wants to cut it down and wants to know, is there a right way or a wrong way to cut the tree ? The tree trunk is just over 4 feet high...

View more questions Search