Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 04:14 AM
    Unknown or Invalid JPG marker type
    I've got some images that were recovered from a bad hard drive. When I try to open them I get the error message shown below. Does anyone know a workaround to open the pic?

Thanks!
    Attached Images

Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 19, 2006, 04:19 AM
    Have you tried opening them in something simple like paint or MS photo editor and then resaving them.
    It just maybe a simple case of Adobe not being able to read the header of the file.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 04:28 AM
    Windows picture and fax viewer just says "no preview available" when I try to open it.

I put it up on my site, but Firefox is reading it as not being there at all:
    http://www.jackson8.com/P9120168.jpg

... in properties, it looks just like any other picture, with the number of bytes.
    BossMan

Jun 19, 2006, 04:31 AM
    Can you attach it and I'll have a look or mail it over ;)
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 04:33 AM
    It's a biggie. I'll email it to you. Thanks, Curls!
    BossMan

Jun 19, 2006, 04:42 AM
    All received.
    Just as I thought the header information is pooched!

Can't do anything about it :(
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 05:17 AM
    Bummer. I've got several hundred... I'm taking them home to hope I can find backups.

I've googled to no avail. Do you think there's some specialty software out there that can crack them?
    BossMan

Jun 19, 2006, 05:22 AM
    Hmmm possibly, but if the information needed to corectly decode the image is corrupted, as indeed the case does seem to be, doesn't really matter.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 05:32 AM
    I'll have to cross my fingers, then and hope I've got some backups!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 2, 2006, 05:06 AM
    Hi,
    I just came across this thread. Not really my area of expertise, but I thought I would throw an idea out anyway... It could be somewhat tedious, but if you were to UUEncode the images into text files, you theoretically should then be able to read the headers, or what is left of them, should you not? Would it then be at all possible to manually repair, or possibly, somehow replace the header, before then coverting it back into an image file? Hope this idea helps. :)
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2006, 05:36 AM
    Nice ideas there Thomas, but that's what I already tried with no luck.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 2, 2006, 11:11 AM
    Sorry. I did also come across some image retrieval software that claims a fairly good success rate, but I'm skeptical. It does have a downloadable demo though:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescu...thumbnails.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invalid drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have compaq p1,booable from FDD.I formatted it dos mood by command format c:/s.Now it boots,but when I insert win98 cd it does not know cd and sys invalid drive. I tried all drive letter.

Where is the property marker? [ 9 Answers ]

We bought our home 3 years ago, and up until now, I still do not know where our property ends and where my neighbor's begin. How can I locate the property marker, and what does it look like?

Invalid backweb id [ 2 Answers ]

Upon start up in windows xp, I get this little message box saying "invalid backweb id 1940576". Ever since this guy showed up, my computer has slowed considerably, probably to about 20% speed. Where can I go and what can I do to correct or delete this devil? Norton Utilities finds nothing...

VDD format in Registry invalid [ 1 Answers ]

When I open 3d smax I get a message reading 'The Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid'. What does this mean? How can I repair it? Please advise. Thanks.

View more questions Search