Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Nov 11, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Can counterclaim be filed after the original case has begun?
    Our original case (we were plaintiffs) was filed in April and our 1st court date was in May. We all met at court and the defendant raised a question about something that the judge then asked us to get him more information about and we were set another time to reappear in court. There were several delays when the court date kept getting moved for reasons of parties not being able to appear and then eventually we had our hearing again in September. Then the day before that hearing the defendant filed 2 counterclaims against us.

Can anyone please tell me if a counterclaim is allowed to be filed 4 months after the original case has already begun?

The only thing our state's law states is that "Service must be complete at least ten days prior to the first hearing"

Now in actuality we've already had the first heraing of the original case in May and the second eharing was in September (and we won) The counterclaims of the defendant were only filed/served to us the day before the Sept hearing, but when he filed them they were given their own court dates in November. They were not heard at the Sept hearing.

But if small claims is to provide sppedy cost-effective justice shouldn't it have all been tried together and shouldn't he have had to file his counterclaim before the first hearing of the first case that he was countering to?

What specifically would I look for in my state's law to figure this out?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabee4 View Post
    Our original case (we were plaintiffs) was filed in April and our 1st court date was in May. We all met at court and the defendant raised a question about something that the judge then asked us to get him more information about and we were set another time to reappear in court. There were several delays when the court date kept getting moved for reasons of parties not being able to appear and then eventually we had our hearing again in September. Then the day before that hearing the defendant filed 2 counterclaims against us.

Can anyone please tell me if a counterclaim is allowed to be filed 4 months after the original case has already begun?

The only thing our state's law states is that "Service must be complete at least ten days prior to the first hearing"

Now in actuality we've already had the first heraing of the original case in May and the second eharing was in September (and we won) The counterclaims of the defendant were only filed/served to us the day before the Sept hearing, but when he filed them they were given their own court dates in November. They were not heard at the Sept hearing.

But if small claims is to provide sppedy cost-effective justice shouldn't it have all been tried together and shouldn't he have had to file his counterclaim before the first hearing of the first case that he was countering to?

What specifically would I look for in my state's law to figure this out?

I'm a little confused about what's going on here - you won in September but now the other party has brought a new case which is going to be heard in November? Same lawsuit, new issues? Or has your "win" been appealed or otherwise re-opened?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2008, 08:59 AM

As you note, the counterclaims were not filed on time, which is why they were given separate hearings. If you won the original case, then bring that up at the hearing and ask for a dismissal of the counterclaims.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Counterclaim in credit card case [ 18 Answers ]

I received a summons a couple of days ago. It say that I have 20 days to respond, but must respond in the form of a counterclaim as provide by Rule 13(a). (Panic!! ) well I have been doing a bit of research and, boy, am I confused, anyway I want to know how I proceed in responding this summons. ...

Can Judgment be vacated if filed by someone who is not the original purchaser? [ 2 Answers ]

Unfortunately when I went off to college in the Fall of 2000, I was a very stupid girl in letting myself be convinced by several credit card representatives on campus to apply for a credit card. One of these cards was a Discover card on which I was given a $1000 limit and allowed to exceed my...

Maryland - Judgement Filed Against Me - Might I have a case? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a call from a relative that said that an officer came to the house asking for me. They were from the District Court of Maryland and did not express what their interest was in me. I looked on the Maryland Case Search to find my name with a Creditor who has filed for a judgement against...

I was arrested for I.D theft in December. My case hasn't been filed, will I go to jai [ 2 Answers ]

So I know what I did was wrong beyond wrong! I have a great job right now and have so many bills to pay for. I have never been in trouble with the law before. And yes I do have an attorney who is helping me out with this. My question is will I see jail time? If I go to jail I will lose my job, and...

View more questions Search