Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grandma215 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Tongue and groove pressure treated deck flooring leaving cracks
    Hi, my son is remodeling a old house and he purchased some pressure treaded tongue and groove flooring and put it down. After about six months the flooring started coming up so he went back and screwed each on but it left cracks. He started putting down some vinyl putty but it is cracking and coming out since it rained before he could get it sealed. Do anyone have a solution to his problem? He has spent a lots of money on this porch. It is a rap around porch on the second floor and is wanting it to water tight from the rain that might get on it and not leak to the lower porch.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 05:23 PM

He laid the floor when it was wet, it should have been dry. No quick fix here as your boards shrink to a size they like. You can remove every board, dry and reinstall in a tighter pattern.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Nov 11, 2008, 06:28 PM

If that is treated yellow pine he isn't done with his problems. Often that material is not quartersawn, to get a "vertical grain", which is what you need for a good tight floor. If it was flat sawn, the wood will expand and contract with the seasons and if you add screws through the face you will just create more cracks when it moves. Yellow pine is not a good material for a floor like you describe.

T&G fir porch flooring would be a better choice. You have to paint it correctly and keep after it, but if installed and maintained correctly it can be kept watertight. I have given it one thin coat of paint (back in the days of oil base paints) on all sides before installation and then two coats after, and it held up VERY well for many years. Even with kids, bikes, trikes, wagons, wood for the stove, what have you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 08:15 PM

EP, I agree. Folks like to use PT but that stuff can be so wet that when you drive a nail you get spashed with your last stroke. Kiln dried lumber is the best and can be sealed and/or colored with stuff like Thompsons wood protector plus tint or their Advacnced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue and groove floor gaps [ 21 Answers ]

We had a 1 1/2" thick tongue and groove floor installed for the upper level of our cabin which also serves as the ceiling of our main level. It looks great on the main level but upstairs, there are wide spaces where the tongue and groove meet. The boards weren't perfect and it rained and rained...

Waterproofing Treated Wooden Deck [ 4 Answers ]

I am refacing my deck with 51/2" wide X 11/2" thick treated lumber (treated for above ground construction). The lumber arrived wet and my question is; how long do can I wait before water proofing & staining. The answers I am getting from Home Centers, etc. are all over the map. TIA PET41

Installing tongue & groove boards vertically [ 1 Answers ]

When installing tongue and groove 1 by 6 pine boards vertically on a 2x4 wall that has nothing else on it, how may nailers should I put in between the 2x4s from top to bottom to provide something to nail to? This is a regular 8 foot wall.

Pressure Treated Wood [ 6 Answers ]

We recently installed pressure treated wood on our balcony. The balcony is in ful sunlight from daylight to dusk. We have heard that you must treat the wood as soon as you install it and then wait to stain/paint it. Is there a particular treatment and when should it be applied?

Paint or stain 18 year old pressure treated deck [ 4 Answers ]

My summer home is on a lake in northern Michigan. We have hot summers and cold and deep snow in the winter, this is very hard on my deck. I have used a number of products to stain/seal the deck but the older is gets the harder it is to keep a nice look to the wood. I am considering paint or a...

View more questions Search