Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KK2 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2006, 10:33 PM
    Is it a tick??
    Today we went to a local park and spent quite a bit of time in the woods. This evening as I sat watching TV I felt something on my leg and looked down to see a little 'bug' on my thigh. It looked like a small spider with a round body. It was medium brown and had 8 legs, I believe. I was startled by it and in reflex just swooshed it away. Now I can't find it and I'm freaking out. I've read online that ticks can live for up to 2 years without feeding... I'm going to be worried about this thing for 2 years??
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 18, 2006, 10:57 PM
    Vacuum a lot.
    Did it look likr this.
    Attached Images

fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Hi,
    Good answer previous to mine.
    It is probably a tick. I agree with using your vacuum cleaner!
    Whenever you see anything on your skin, never just "swipe" it away... even if it's a flea. Kill it!
    Best wishes, and good luck.

Jun 19, 2006, 10:03 AM
    Thanks for your replies... I've been a vacuuming maniac today. I'm not honestly sure that I've swept up the little bugger, but I'm pretending that I have until proven wrong :)
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 20, 2006, 04:21 PM
    I was delayed in responding due to computer trouble which prevented access to search engines. I found the following sites which offer additional advice.

Here is a site to help you identify what you saw.

Bugguide
    http://bugguide.net/

Insect Identification for the Casual oibserver
    http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyK9...ification.org/

How to get rid of it after you identify it.

How to Get Rid of Fleas and Ticks
    http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyKN...ps_2439_3.html
    Insects.tamu.edu/extension/insctans/identification

Environmentally Conscious Methods of Pest Control In and Around Homes
    Outlines simple and effective methods of pest control in the home with minimal use of pesticides. For extension educators and general public.. . homeowners consider insects and insect relatives (e.g... Minnesota survey of 440 home dwellers in Minnesota indicated...
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG6269.html
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 20, 2006, 04:53 PM
    Good answers here to which I would only add this:

After vacuuming, empty the bag or if its bagless, into the trash and out the door too. Ticks tend to find their food so it may find a host if you didn't get it. We have had ticks on our dog on rare occasions and inside the house once. It comes with living deep in the woods. Although its unpleasant, not all ticks carries disease nor does it mean breaking out in an infestation. Stay calm. If it attaches to anyone, pull it off carefully with pointed tweezers gripping as close to the skin as possible. Do not do the hot match trick, that can bury it deeper into the skin.

Jun 30, 2006, 11:25 AM
    All of your info & suggestions are very much appreciated. There's been no sign of the "bug" I saw... but, I have noticed & sice killed about 5 spiders. They have not all been of the same variety, and I'm sure they're different than what I orioginally posted about, but I have no idea how all of the little buggers are getting into our house!

Thanks again for your replies!
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Aug 7, 2006, 04:43 PM
    I know this doesn't help, but some "full" ticks can last up to 20 years without food.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tick [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, here we are in the wonderful summer in the US. And I am now living in the country with all its nature. But we have already had our first "TICK" attack. This time was on our pet cat, it was crawling and I could just pick it off. But what if it gets on to one of the family members and bites...

View more questions Search