Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cookie_beagle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 09:14 AM
    beagle will not eat proper dog food - only wants treats
    we have a 5 1/2 month old beagle whom we love dearly. As such, we might have spoiled it too much by giving it treats all the time. 2 weeks ago he stopped eating his dog food. He would sniff his bowl then push it away with his nose. We tried mixing dry food with wet food, tried softening dry food with water, switching dog food brands -- all to no avail. The only thing he wants to eat are treats.

how do we we get him to start eating proper dog food again? We started with royal canin then switched over to orijen. He will not eat either.

we stopped giving him treats. We give him meals 2x a day which he does not touch. How long can he go without eating? Is this healthy for him? Thanks
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 09:17 AM

Whoose the boss. Does he open the cabinits himself. Put down his regular dog food. Soon enough he will get hungry and eat. Lets see who has a stronger will, you or him...

He won't starve to death.

Nov 11, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Thanks, we're on our 2nd day now. We've been giving him his regular dog food and so far he's eaten just 1/3 of it. As you say -- I hope we won't starve to death
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 07:19 PM

When he's hungry he'll eat, trust me. He's pulling a two year old child trick on you, "If I'm stubborn enough mommy and daddy will give in" trust me, if he could hold his breath until his face turned blue I'm sure he'd try that trick too. ;)

No more treats. If you want to train him using treats then you can give a small treat when he does what you ask, but no between treats anymore otherwise you'll have bigger problems down the road.

Oh, I too have a beagle, he's 3 months old, they're wonderful little dogs, but stubborn as can be. You have to be firm otherwise he'll walk all over you. :)

Good luck.

Nov 13, 2008, 12:05 AM
    Thanks altenweg. Yes, he's a sly and crafty one. It's day 4 and we're holding our ground. No treats at all. I hope we can regulate his eating habits soon. I'm thinking of weighing him just to make sure he doesn't lose too much weight in the process.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 09:22 AM

Don't give in, you are the pack leader, remember that and stand your ground.

Also remember that he's a dog, his instinct is to survive. When he's hungry he'll eat, he just has to realize that you aren't going to give up.

Really, he'll be fine. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Proper alphabetization of a proper name [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to file this proper name? Beatrice de Clermont Tonnerre

Food invention (registration of a food product?) [ 12 Answers ]

I have thought up a good idea for a new food product and would like to offer it to a company, but to do that (I was informed by my dad) I need proof that this idea is mine so no one can steal it and such, registration of a food product? I need to know how to go on to this. A website perhaps? Please...

Is Propylene Glycol in your pet's food or treats? [ 9 Answers ]

If it is please read the definition Websters dictionary from 1948. It is: a sweet, colorless, viscous liquid made from petroleum and otherwise, used as an ANTIFREEZE, germicide, solvent, etc. Would you eat ANTIFREEZE? Please stop feeding it to your pets! It is also found in cake mixes, makeup,...

He treats me different [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am 12 and my dads first child, since then he had another child who is my half brother. Recently my dad and step mum fell out. I hardly get to see my brother. But my dad is always treating me differently to my brother in a bad way. PLEASE HELP ME TO GET MORE ATTENTION OFF HIM!! :mad: :(...

I'm 16 and my dad still treats me like I'm 6! [ 2 Answers ]

I had an argument with my dad today my mum was involved but my dad pretty much took control! I'm really upset and can't stop crying! My dad won't listen to me and doesn't realise how stressed I'm getting and how he takes his stress out on me all the time someone please help me my dad will not...

View more questions Search