Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    learning Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2003, 07:02 AM
    Tar paper for weed control
    Got free tar paper from a building project, lots of it...
    I have a large area that I want to stop invasive alders and bush from growing. I will cut these down as can do this more easily now because leaves are not out yet. Once cut I just want the place to stop growing them, or, at least allow a bit of leeway.
    I can hardly get through paths any longer.
    I can't afford stone or something to cover the "paths" once I get rid of the bush right now, also the time work involved, all the material has to go over a stone wall.
    Questions:
    Is this a possible solution?
    Is tar paper harmful to the earth?
    If I don't put anything on it... dirt etc... apart from some bricks to hold it down, will it just eventually break down and I will have plain old dirt there which is what I want and with trampling will remain like old pathways.

I think the family will have to stay of it for quite a period as I feel it will break underfoot but in the meantime will be killing the vegetation as light can not get to it

After that I can keep it up with regular maintenance.
    Is landscape fabric a better option, just hate not to be able to use up the tar paper.

All suggestions will be appreciated.
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

May 11, 2007, 01:21 PM
    I heard of a guy that used plastic with soil over it and left it for a while which made a moist area underneatha and harmfull mold started to form there

I don't think it will break down any time soon
    dMacII Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

May 14, 2007, 05:41 AM
    The paper part will break apart but the tar will last as long as roof shingles, or asphalt roads. Tar is an oil-base product and doesn't break down easily.

We get many seedling trees growing in our lawn every year from the little nuts dropped from the trees our yard. I kill them using a regular weed killer. If you spray it on them once every one or two weeks during the Spring you can stop the new trees from growing. I buy the concentrate (Weed-B-Gone) and dilute it in a gallon milk jug and then pour the diluted mix into a hand-held spray bottle. Also, because I spray for weeds regularly, I have purchased a quality spray bottle from Home Depot - found it in their cleaning supplies section. You may want to consider doing the same.

If your path isn't too long, you can use a spray bottle. If you have a large area, I would use a 2 or 3-gallon pump sprayer.

You could also use a more heavy-duty vegetation killer. Ortho Ground Clear is specifically meant for killing all vegetation growing in paths or walkways or gardens. Check out the link for product info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Watercolor paper [ 1 Answers ]

I am curious to know what different weight paper is about. I see advertised 80 lb, 140 lb and 300 lb paper but wonder what effect this will have on my artwork... also coldpressed and hot pressed. I think I understand that one is grainy and rough surface and other is smooth... I prefer a little...

Research paper help [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing my first research paper and I am attempting to explain the positive effects on society from a. edgar allen poe b. mae west c. industrial rock And how these groups are examples of different types of controversy that are positive to our culture Do you have any suggestions on how I...

I remember a paper cut... [ 2 Answers ]

Please help me figure out the title of this movie; I think it's from the 80s. Here is what I remember: Some sort of soldier or officer wakes up and is told that the war has been over for awhile and they need to debrief him about his role in it. People are asking him all sorts of questions. ...

View more questions Search