Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    C-O-P Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Nov 11, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Travel while on Parole with newly issued passport
    I am on parole currently. But, I got a passport issued without a problem. Does anyone know if there could be a problem with it if I try to leave the country? What goes on now in the processing at the airport when you leave the country? I have not lefsince 2001 because I was in prison then. Please answer soon!!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Hello c:

Well, I'm not sure what those airport cops have on their computer screens. I'll bet they're not playing tetris. So, what ELSE could be on those computer screens. What would YOU like to know about your passengers if YOU were an airport cop?

Well, if I was an airport cop, I'd want to know EVERYTHING about the people who are about to get on an airplane that is MY responsibility to keep safe. Therefore, not knowing WHAT is on their computers (cause I AIN'T an airport cop), I'd say they're going to know about you being on parole...

Now, that may not be true. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if I found out that the cops WERE playing tetris while they're supposed to be checking stuff out.

But, would I take the chance?? Nahhh... Specially when it's SOOOOOO easy to get a travel permit.

excon

Nov 11, 2008, 08:12 AM

Ex Con - Do PO's actually give permission to travel out of the country? Mine would be hard pressed to give me permission to cross the street with her attitude. Did you ever travel while on parole? Was it Fed or State?
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Hello c:

Sure. I traveled WHENEVER I found the need. Your PO can't stop you. If you meet the criteria for traveling out of the jurisdiction, then you DO. But, most parolees think the PO can, for any reason, deny them permission to travel...

That ain't true. There ARE rules. BUT, as long as you don't think there is, the PO doesn't need to adhere to them. So, the first thing I would do, is ask your PO to supply you with the written policy's regarding travel...

As soon as you ask, the PO will know that you've been talking to a person like me. They'll also know that they're not going to be able to wing it any longer. Therefore, simply by ASKING for these documents, your PO will be intimidated to the point of granting you a travel permit...

Out of the country?? Maybe, but I doubt it. If you get into trouble wherever you go, the parole board is going to want to be able to get you BACK easily. Some country's DON'T have an extradition treaty with the US...

So, I doubt whether you can travel overseas.

excon

Nov 11, 2008, 08:47 AM
    EX- So, you never travelled out of the country when you were on parole? What is the process now when you leave the country? Do they check you there? Is there any way to find out if I am "coded" on the system? It seems like there is no crime - or violation - involved just by trying to leave the cuntry. It seems they would only stop me on the way back in. Anything you can answer here is really appreciated. I helped tons of folks inside but have no idea about this stuff. I have a GREAT opportunity that requires me to go... might try anyway. Were you on State Parole or Federal? Would that make a difference in what they have on file do you think?
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Hello again, c:

No, I didn't leave the country. I traveled on both state and federal parole. I don't think that would make a difference in terms of what's on their computer screens.

Look, in the general scheme of things, I think they won't catch you... But...

excon

Nov 11, 2008, 09:48 AM
    EX - That is what I was thinking, too. This is not Fed so they would have to have done their work @ the state DOC in order to have me on a database that State Dept. would access. Those folks do not like to really work - we both know that. Plus, wouldn't they have questioned the passport application if it showed me being on parole on a screen in DC? When you first renewed/obtained your passport, were you asked anything about being on parole? Sorry for all the questions but this is serious business here... you know that.
    C
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Hello again, c:

Nahhh. The passport is just a federal ID. If you're a citizen, you'll get one.

What I think is on the airport cops computers is data from the NCIC computer data base maintained by the feds. I don't know IF it shows that you're on parole. I'll bet that it DOES show your recent conviction and that it hasn't been discharged. That alone would cause them to check you out a little closer...

Like I said above, even if I thought the odds were heavily in my favor, I still wouldn't chance it. I REALLY don't like it in the slam.

excon

Nov 11, 2008, 10:25 AM
    EX-
    So you think they would see my conviction (from several years ago) and check further? That does make some sense I guess. Would they do that at my exit or my re-entry do you think? Do you even have to show your passport and get it scanned when you leave? Are you familiar with the new ones with the chips in them? How do they work? I appreciate your advice and knowing what you have gone through. Does it make a difference that I am going to a country that does not require a visa?
    C
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Hello again, c:

In my view, once you have checked in at the ticket counter, the airport cops KNOW who you are and where you are in the airport. Plus, if they have a mind to, they could follow every step you make while inside the terminal on closed circuit TV.

I don't think the cops care where you're going or where you came from. I don't know if they'd be prompted to accost you BEFORE you left or when you got back. I don't know if they'd do it at all.

Maybe they DO play tetris on their computers... Maybe I'm just very paranoid. Maybe I just can't imagine how they DON'T have all those tech gadgets with the zillions of $$'s they spent. Maybe they're much nicer than I think they are.

excon

Nov 11, 2008, 11:28 AM
    EX - You can't be any more paranoid then I am. They have done things ot me even when I was not at fault. I function musch better out here and want to stay. I just need to weigh the chances. This is a very big deal for me and I can't get it done without leaving and coming back. I think every cop on the streets is out to get me if you want to know the truth. But when I did get stopped once the guy never said anything about being on parole. I just know that they don't work very hard either. That is why I lthought I might be able to get through and back without incident. Feel free to give any other advice buddy, I really do appreciate it.

Nov 11, 2008, 03:12 PM

Hey EX, I heard from some other guy who says I can probably get out but that they would nab me for sure on the way back through. Does that make sense to you? I'm asking because I tend to be careful about who I get advice from... heard a lot of bad advice being given to guys on the other side of that fence and don't want to get any here.
    C.
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Hello again, c:

I'm not a purveyor of what I "heard". If you get it from me, you can count on it!

In that regard, I was telling the truth above. I really don't know if they'll catch you. Certainly, coming back you'll have to go through customs, whereas going you won't. That fact alone will put front and center in their sites.

But, like you said. Maybe they don't EVEN know you're on parole. There's a very good chance that somebody didn't do what they were supposed to do. You and I know about that.

I don't think there's an answer. All I can say is, do you feel lucky?

excon

Nov 12, 2008, 09:42 AM

Ex-
    Have you ever heard about anyone on parole going and coming? I hate the risk level but have to weigh it against the benefits potential too. Thanks for the help, buddy. If we don't stick together out here even more than when we were inside, the attempt to change us into less than we are will have worked.
    C.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by C-O-P View Post
    Ex-
    Have you ever heard about anyone on parole going and coming?
    Hello again, c:

Nope.

excon

Nov 12, 2008, 09:48 AM
    EX - I'll keep you up on it if I end up going... at least we might find something out about how it works. Heavy decision though... have a loooong tail.

Nov 12, 2008, 10:02 AM

Hey - what's the chances that sites like this are monitored? Could I be screwing myself by trying to get info?
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Hello again, c:

I don't know. Part of the jillions the homeland cops have to spend has to do with surveillance. Plus, the Fourth Amendment is toast.

Do I think they're watching?? Yup.

Again, if you haven't noticed, my advice tends to be on the DON'T do it side. If I'm going to err in my advice, I'd rather err on the side of keeping my questioners OUT of jail.

excon

Nov 12, 2008, 10:14 AM

Yeah--sometimes I think I am too paranoid because I have seen how they do NOTHING. But there is always the one son of a gun who is new enough to care about it and does his freakin' job. Good plan to stay out and wait for other chances probably.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 03:34 PM

If you go, betch get caught. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Doesn't matter - coming or going they'll be sure to round you up. Find another opportunity after you finish your parole.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Convicted felon on parole needs passport [ 3 Answers ]

I want to travel to Jamaica but am a convicted felon on parole still. Can I travel or do I have to wait?

Do I need passport to travel within the US [ 3 Answers ]

Is it true I need a passport to travel within the United States? I live in Illinois and will be going to Vegas in April and was told as of Jan 2008 you need a passport to travel within the US

Travel on advance parole [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I Came To U.s On F1 Visa.married To A U.s Citizen And Applied For Aos One And Half Year Ago.my Case Is Still Pending.I Have To Go To India On An Emergency.I Have Approved Ead, I130,ap.never Been 'out Of Status'.still Everybody Including Immigration Lawyers Are Telling "go At Your Own Risk.I Am...

Passport to travel [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if you need a passport to travel from Dublin Ireland to the uk. I have had so many people tell me different. An also if my friend wants to stay in the uk dose he need a visa to work? I hope someone can help, xx

View more questions Search